3200GT Diff Seized/Boned?

ajb101

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever experienced a diff seizure or failure which prevented you from being able to move the car? I just spent some time bouncing it on the clutch thinking it was the hand-brake but after a large clunk, it still wouldn't move.

I'm worried the diff is having a serious problem and now I can't move it to get my other issue fixed (in another thread.)

Thanks in advance,
Alex

conaero

Forum Owner
It will be the handbrake. Has the car been stood for weeks?

Jack up each side and remove the wheel then the disc, backing it off first via the lower hole.

The first clunk would have been the shoe lining being ripped off, so a jolt, then it sounds like it's spun round and jammed under the other shoe.

At least it's cheap, shoe reclining about £35 and an afternoon of fiddling.

ajb101

Surely once I broke friction it would've just moved? It felt more like I just jumped a fixed gear.

Sadly I lack the tools to do this myself, I'll have to get someone out to do it.

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep will be the shoes delaminating. Get the handbrake rebuilt properly and then don't ever use it again!

ajb101

Sorry I didn't see your extra comments, thanks for your advice Conaero, I'll have to see if someone can come out and do this as the car is stuck in the garage and there's very little room to manoeuvre!

Lusso916

I had new shoes fitted, after 6 months started sticking on even grabbed when left off, my service guy told me to drive with brake lightly on for 1/200 yards to scuff linings, it worked and still have a good parking brake when needed. No good for ajb101 now but for future reference.

ajb101

I had new shoes fitted, after 6 months started sticking on even grabbed when left off, my service guy told me to drive with brake lightly on for 1/200 yards to scuff linings, it worked and still have a good parking brake when needed. No good for ajb101 now but for future reference.

Done that a few times my self! :)

Potenza3200

I just had my handbrake rebuilt at f-tech only last week. She was sat up for a while and i did exactly what you just described. The shoes had become unboded and the the securing pin sheared when i rocked her back and forth.

alfatwo

There not that bad.. That ATE rear brake design was fitted to old Alfas and Volvos from 1968 on, they never give any trouble..

The problems are caused mostly by incorrect adjustment of the hand brake shoes, or the muppets who work on them who haven't got a clue!

Dave

Mott The Hoople

Even the Owner Handbook says not to use the handbrake but to leave it in gear instead. The handbrake is strictly for hill starts.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
That's why; A) I never put the car away straight after washing it or B) leave the handbrake on when parked for long periods. I always wash it and then take it round the block to dry the disc a and pads out but only if I'm using it within the next few days. At the moment, it's still got fly squash on it from last October!

davy83

all of the above, and yes it seems like some thing major has gone wrong at the back, but yes its probably just the handbrake. Problems with the diff are nearly unheard of, the rotary seals go and you need to replace them and change the oil once in a while but otherwise the diff is very robust as far as i can tell. The handbrake despite Dave's assurances has major issues and the shoes coming loose because it gets locked up, is quite common. its when it sits for a long period and the inner surface of the hub rusts, then the friction is so high the friction material gets sheared off the metal show when you try to move it, and its all down hill from there. As has already been said, if the handbrake is off then the shoes with luck are not touching the hub inner surface so less potential for it to lock up, but making sure the hub and shoes are dry before letting it sit for any length of time is also extremely helpful, as this minimises the amount of rust built up in the hub.