Bit of a fuel smell

Andy Marshall

I have an intermittent fuel smell in the cabin problem on my spyder. The carbon thing on the tank was replaced last year but it has not cured it.
There are no leaks as far as I can see, and the pipework has been thoroughly checked, to no avail.
The suggestion made was to replace the fuel cap, but the smell is definitely not coming from there. Instead it first appears in the battery compartment then comes into the cabin ( I have been investigating!)
Its much worse if the car is parked on a steep nose down, or if the car is parked leaning towards the drivers side on a slope. If I park it the other way round then the smell pretty much vanishes.
I'm thinking some sort of breather or vapour recovery tube MUST be damaged - does anyone have experience of this? I see on the Eurospares website that there is a pipe that runs parallel to the filler pipe, from the filler neck to the tank, could it be that this is where the fumes are emanating? If so, how on earth do you get to it?

CatmanV2

I had a crack in my filler neck. You should be able to feel it with the side lining out of the boot.

Have a looksee. Probably not with a naked flame, though

C

Andy Marshall

Just had a call from Jason at F1 and he has found the fault. There is a vapour/overflow pipe that runs parallel to the fuel filler neck and it has some rubber seals at each end. One of these has perished and under certain conditions it is allowing vapour to vent into the boot area. New bits are still available for not very much money at all (miracle of miracles!) and with luck I may be back on the road at the weekend.

StuartW

Just had a call from Jason at F1 and he has found the fault. There is a vapour/overflow pipe that runs parallel to the fuel filler neck and it has some rubber seals at each end. One of these has perished and under certain conditions it is allowing vapour to vent into the boot area. New bits are still available for not very much money at all (miracle of miracles!) and with luck I may be back on the road at the weekend.

Good news & an easy fix - what a pleasant surprise!

Andy Marshall

Yeah. I thought that when mine was diagnosed :) Apparently it was a bit of a pig to fit on the 4200. I hope the Spyder is simpler :)

C

Jason did not seem to be too fazed by the prospect of fitting it - perhaps its easier not having back seats and being able to get to things via the hood well?

CatmanV2

Jason did not seem to be too fazed by the prospect of fitting it - perhaps its easier not having back seats and being able to get to things via the hood well?

Could be *and* he's probably fitted one before. Mine was my indy that did it.

C