CODE light

merak1974

The CODE light comes on occasionally on my 3200GT (one in ten starts perhaps). When that happens, turning the key back to initial position and trying again, usually fixes the issue (perhaps after two or three attempts). But, on two occasions I have had to resort to the emergency start procedure (using the electronic code).

Has anybody had similar issues? Any ideas about possible causes and remedies?

davy83

My car does this occasionally but not one in 10, i would say possibly twice a year? i would agree with Catman its probably the antenna in the steering column. Do you have any thing else on your key ring? i removed all metal from the key ring and other keys etc, and i think this helps? or its flaky electrics, which would not be a surprise. Has it just started doing this or been like this all along?

alfatwo

My car does this occasionally but not one in 10, i would say possibly twice a year? i would agree with Catman its probably the antenna in the steering column. Do you have any thing else on your key ring? i removed all metal from the key ring and other keys etc, and i think this helps? or its flaky electrics, which would not be a surprise. Has it just started doing this or been like this all along?

That's not a known 3200 fault, 4200 yes, cheaper component's.. it may be the heat..

As most of the circuitry on a 3200 are Bosch original Davy,Germans don't normally do flaky!

Dave

MRichards

I have the CODE light come on fairly frequently and generally I ignore it. However,recently I opened the key & found the little black transponder was not in it's slot. Put it back in it's proper place & have not had any more CODE lights. There is an illustration of the key interior in the Owners Manual.
I guess that sometimes the antenna in the ignition switch does occasionally fail to get a response from the transponder so it's a case of try again.

davy83

Aha i never really looked to see who made the immobiliser!! still does not explain why it occasionally does not recognise the key :) I guess with the 3200 you just get used to odd things not being right, its part of the routine for me any way.

That's not a known 3200 fault, 4200 yes, cheaper component's.. it may be the heat..

As most of the circuitry on a 3200 are Bosch original Davy,Germans don't normally do flaky!

Dave

allandwf

Another test you can try is note the position of the wheel when it does it, if it becomes more frequent. Try it in another position, up and down etc. It may be the aerial position.

merak1974

Thanks guys - very informative and many useful tips, as usual!

Opened the key. Everything seemed fine. I took the car for a ride today; first time in a couple of weeks. The CODE light came on first attempt, but went away on the second.

allandwf

Did you do anything differently second attempt? Move the wheel, remove and reinsert the key the opposite way?

davy83

Clear as mud then, just try starting it twice then!!!!

Thanks guys - very informative and many useful tips, as usual!

Opened the key. Everything seemed fine. I took the car for a ride today; first time in a couple of weeks. The CODE light came on on first attempt, but went away on the second.

merak1974

The CODE light never comes on when I insert the key with the trident facing down. So it seems the problem is solved, at least for now...