Talk me out of a R8 V10

iainw

Agree most people who spend 200k on a car will not pay outright and is probably used to appease the tax man and financed to the hilt.

Non electric cars are terrible as far as tax is concerned. Only electric ones really have any advantages.
From what the dealers said there is no such thing as a typical buyer as to how they finance it.
One think that amazed me was 6-9 months average ownership - and they changed cars within the range.
That would cost much more than any finance. Bonkers

bigbob

Non electric cars are terrible as far as tax is concerned. Only electric ones really have any advantages.
From what the dealers said there is no such thing as a typical buyer as to how they finance it.
One think that amazed me was 6-9 months average ownership - and they changed cars within the range.
That would cost much more than any finance. Bonkers

I remember you posting that the other day and meant to comment at the time. Ferrari dealer margins are £15-20k so changing cars that often is just nuts. When Graypaul last picked up my car for service they implied I was a very long standing customer in that many of their customers enjoy short term ownership and then they must change brands.

As for Stradale service costs, if you do less that 6250 miles pa then over 7 years you will only need three services at £4-5.5k total depending on what you get done. Not too silly.

m1980k

Agree- servicing costs and warranty are still important no matter how rich someone is.
I would think it very risky to buy a car at 100% of annual wage though. I have often thought what most people consider 'sensible'. I would want my car to cost less than a third of my annual wage for sure. I have never understood the logic of spending more money on cars than bricks and mortar. My valeter was telling me about a chap with a GT3, RS6 and an M3. Turns out they are parked on road outside a 3 bed house worth less that the GT3. WTF!

If I was single, I'd live in a one or two bed flat and drive a Maclaren. But I have a wife and 2 kids so I live in a house and a drive a GranSport... there is logic in spending a huge chunk of what you have on cars if you find 0-60 in 3 seconds more interesting that sitting on the sofa watching Netflix...

iainw

If I was single, I'd live in a one or two bed flat and drive a Maclaren. But I have a wife and 2 kids so I live in a house and a drive a GranSport... there is logic in spending a huge chunk of what you have on cars if you find 0-60 in 3 seconds more interesting that sitting on the sofa watching Netflix...

It is very true. Having a wife and family makes a massive difference to car choices!
You can watch Netflix on your iPad in the car anyway and have the best of both worlds.
We are biased being on a car forum though. I am the only one of my colleagues who likes cars. Their houses are probably worth 10-15x their cars. If I was single
I would definitely have a flat and a garage full of cars. But then again what's better than being nagged as soon as you get home to do chores and have your kids asking for presents all the time and ferrying them around ...

safrane

Car is worth 10% of house here... GF just 2%.

If we keep to that Im looking to upgrade to a £80k one when we move in together...doubt that will wash with her though!

rossyl

Car is worth 10% of house here... GF just 2%.

If we keep to that Im looking to upgrade to a £80k one when we move in together...doubt that will wash with her though!

In my view cars are all about being cash rich, not asset rich.
The word "rich" is also completely subjective.

Contigo

Sponsor
But you can drive a car you can't a house! Also live in the car! Best of both Worlds!

If I was single on the wage I'm on I'd be in a Fezza or Macca for sure but as said family puts a kibosh on that but I do ok with 2 Maser's and a few other classics in the collection, sometimes I'm tempted to just sell all and then buy something like the aforementioned but that would be a tad boring, love having the choice to take out what I want when I feel in the mood for them!

iainw

But you can drive a car you can't a house! Also live in the car! Best of both Worlds!

If I was single on the wage I'm on I'd be in a Fezza or Macca for sure but as said family puts a kibosh on that but I do ok with 2 Maser's and a few other classics in the collection, sometimes I'm tempted to just sell all and then buy something like the aforementioned but that would be a tad boring, love having the choice to take out what I want when I feel in the mood for them!

You have a bloody good collection there Phil. It is good having different cars- so easy to get bored of one.

Contigo

Sponsor
I sold the blue uk car, lovely thing that was. The red Eunos is staying, it's as good an example of that than yours is of the 4200.

iainw

Audi A3 TQS (1.8T Quattro) running around 350hp.

Holy **** - you serious? 350 hp in an A3. Let me know if you ever sell. I could slip that past the wife as a sensible family run around - and would be loads of fun i bet.

Rags

I recently changed my 2013 Maserati GTS for an 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus.

Its pretty simple the Audi murders the Maserati in most benchmarks including performance, handling, sound, technology etc. There really is no contest. The Audi is a proper sports car, the Maserati is a poorly built barge that has ancient technology. The Audi does 0-60 in 3 seconds or less and is insanely exciting. The Audi gets more attention (including the wrong type) and yes the engine in the Audi sounds better than the V8 in the Maserati at an revs.

Two massively different cars.

I love the Audi. But for all its failings, I loved the Maserati more. I miss it. Have been toying with getting an MC as a second vehicle. Almost bought one the other day.....