New Ferrari V8 - Portofino

iainw

F355 was £99k new IIRC and in those days option packages were modest.

Can't believe all car prices now - £90k starting price for a new M5. Take a hike, £35k for a lower model and £50k+ for a 2013 GT Sport works better for me.

Totally agree. You would lose a stack on the new German ones- and a new GT sport is a boat load of car for the money.
Having said that- re: Ferraris - there can't be many 12 year old cars worth more now than when bought! Good 430's well into 6 figures now

iainw

I find it curious that people are commenting about the HP arms race in a negative manner. Weren't we all complaining that the Ghibli was 100HP down on the Giulia a year ago and urging Maserati to do something about it?

On £200k being the price of an entry point Ferrari, don't forget that prior to the build up to the Brexit vote the GBP to Euro exchange rate was reasonably steady at 1.4 Euros to the pound. We are now looking at almost parity, its 1.07 or so. That's about a 25% increase in price so the price would have been in the £160k mark without the currency fluctuations.

Of course Portofino is where all of the Glitteratzi have their Italian Riviera houses and used to go for the sun. Now its full of tourists and wannabes. So maybe it fits. If you want a real Ferrari it'll cost you £300k, but we'll let you into the club with this cheaper one for £200k ;)

Is that really a Ghibli Owner commenting on 'real' cars in the range :0
I haven't looked up the definition of irony in the dictionary for a while - but if i did... :p

iainw

Haha, true enough.

In return for your honesty- I will admit I was too harsh on the ghibli - RWC was right- I was ****** off and missing the Ferrari. I was comparing it to the wrong car. I still disagree with the diesel- but at the current price points , well specced petrol and S version would kick German competitors into touch as they are a little bit different. The leather and comfort are great. The infotainment and drivability isn't as good as the Germans but the point of difference is too good to ignore.
Just like I would take a GTs over any R8 any day- i would do the same with the ghibli vs a 5 series.
Still can't wait to get the 2+2 dropped off though. And it's sunny :)
I did do what I said I never would again - and couldn't resist adding a GTO style front grill and mini front plate. But it transforms the front end (cue Phil and big bob to take the **** :D )

conaero

Forum Owner
Sounds like you lot are all jealous that Ferrari seem to get new models everytime I have my bi annual bath where Maserati seem to do nothing new :( ...but talk about new models.

iainw

It's true matt. WTf are they doing. A devoted and loyal following - they need to please!! Lucky their current halo car is so good

Andyk

Must say I used to be loyal to one Margue but realise there are too many great cars out there.

bigbob

In return for your honesty- I will admit I was too harsh on the ghibli - RWC was right- I was ****** off and missing the Ferrari. I was comparing it to the wrong car. I still disagree with the diesel- but at the current price points , well specced petrol and S version would kick German competitors into touch as they are a little bit different. The leather and comfort are great. The infotainment and drivability isn't as good as the Germans but the point of difference is too good to ignore.
Just like I would take a GTs over any R8 any day- i would do the same with the ghibli vs a 5 series.
Still can't wait to get the 2+2 dropped off though. And it's sunny :)
I did do what I said I never would again - and couldn't resist adding a GTO style front grill and mini front plate. But it transforms the front end (cue Phil and big bob to take the **** :D )

You provide a bit of colour to our threads, Iain, which is great. We are all inconsistent in any case.

Saw a red Gallardo Spyder in Aberdeen today driving top down and wondered what you would do to upgrade it!

BJL

At Last.jpg

Took delivery yesterday. Off to Italy next week and then the Ace on my return at the end of Sept. Just for the food of course.

Like the Portofino very much and have been invited to the Gala Launch in Portofino on the 7th Sept being held on the quay just below the apartment we use. My order is in for March 2019 delivery. Rosso Maranello with black leather. First years production already sold out. Crazy world.

MrMickS

View attachment 45056

Took delivery yesterday. Off to Italy next week and then the Ace on my return at the end of Sept. Just for the food of course.

Like the Portofino very much and have been invited to the Gala Launch in Portofino on the 7th Sept being held on the quay just below the apartment we use. My order is in for March 2019 delivery. Rosso Maranello with black leather. First years production already sold out. Crazy world.

Driving to Italy or flying. We're heading down there next week as well.

bigbob

View attachment 45056

Brilliant photo. That's about five Ghiblis' worth I think on a ready reckoner.

iainw

View attachment 45056

I love the colour of the Portofino you have ordered - gorgeous. and your new one is my second favourite ferrari colour. Envious (in a good way).
Would love to see them some day.
How much are the portofinos if I may ask? I personally like the look of it..

BJL

With paint and Diamond cut wheels (not the ones in the launch photo but more like the Lusso ones) and a few bits of carbon it comes out at 185k ish.

I loved my Cali and when I saw the Cali t I thought it had too much MX5 in the design for me to love it. Even with 35k on the clock early Calis are still 85k and going up slowly. I reckon the Cali t will stick at 135t and the Portofino will be like the 488 hovering around their new cost for a few years after U.K. availability in late 2018

Contigo

Sponsor
Sounds like you lot are all jealous that Ferrari seem to get new models everytime I have my bi annual bath where Maserati seem to do nothing new :( ...but talk about new models.

But this being a front engined V8 should have been wearing a Trident! The original Cali should have been a Triden too, it doesn't fit the Ferrari format at all as it would have been a V12 upfront. I honestly despair and still see this as a Maser in drag :(

iainw

With paint and Diamond cut wheels (not the ones in the launch photo but more like the Lusso ones) and a few bits of carbon it comes out at 185k ish.

I loved my Cali and when I saw the Cali t I thought it had too much MX5 in the design for me to love it. Even with 35k on the clock early Calis are still 85k and going up slowly. I reckon the Cali t will stick at 135t and the Portofino will be like the 488 hovering around their new cost for a few years after U.K. availability in late 2018

I have to say I have been blown away by the Cali as an all rounder.
I think they are great VFM. So is the portofino by the sound of it! I think it looks stunning. Well done

iainw

But this being a front engined V8 should have been wearing a Trident! The original Cali should have been a Triden too, it doesn't fit the Ferrari format at all as it would have been a V12 upfront. I honestly despair and still see this as a Maser in drag :(

I hope I can get that analogy out of my head every time I sit in it :D all i can say is - it's a good lucking drag queen who goes like the clappers and looks great with the top off !

rockits

I have to say I have been blown away by the Cali as an all rounder.
I think they are great VFM. So is the portofino by the sound of it! I think it looks stunning. Well done
Glad you think £185k is great VFM. Back in the real world on planet earth my bank account tells me otherwise

iainw

Glad you think £185k is great VFM. Back in the real world on planet earth my bank account tells me otherwise

Its all relative isn't it. I try to explain to my wife its the cost of ownership that counts and not the ticket price. With the Free Servicing and Warranty I try to convince myself that the depreciation is affordable , especially if the majority is not on finance. A local BMW garage offered me a 'great deal' - so they thought. Drive a 60k car for 6 months and a guaranteed buy back of 5,000 less if I did less than 3,000 miles. I won't lose much different to 10k / year on a 6 figure ferrari. Its all relative. To most people all these cars are bonkers. But it makes me and other forum members happy. Whats VFM is very personal.

Investing in property is probably the best financial sense. But I can't bring myself to buy places, rent them out, and hope in 30 years (in which time I have probably died of an MI due to overwork or a car crash in a maserati in drag) I can sell them to help pay for my care home.