Front plate came off

MrMickS

WD40 did the job. The front looks an awful lot better without the plate to spoil the lines. The old plate is cracked so I may have to order a new one. I wonder how long I can get away with that excuse?

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I was chatting with a Ghibli owner on Sunday who'd had his car 4 months and the plate had fallen off! Maserati must be scrimping on the stickiness now as well.

iainw

IMG_0579.jpg
WD40 did the job. The front looks an awful lot better without the plate to spoil the lines. The old plate is cracked so I may have to order a new one. I wonder how long I can get away with that excuse?

Just get a garage to make up a small plate and bracket. It's legal and you can see the grill and lines of the car so much better

outrun

View attachment 45467

Just get a garage to make up a small plate and bracket. It's legal and you can see the grill and lines of the car so much better

That's not legal Iain. I believe the number/letters have to be of a precise size and font, anything else is not legal. You'd be unlucky to be stopped and they only issue a ticket so I wouldn't care! I take mine off entirely then put it on for MOT day etc!

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I believe the number/letters have to be of a precise size and font, anything else is not legal.

That's right. There are precise rules about size, font and spacing but none about the size of the plate. I had a smaller front plate on my old car but it was still legal; need to sort it out for my new one.

outrun

That's right. There are precise rules about size, font and spacing but none about the size of the plate. I had a smaller front plate on my old car but it was still legal; need to sort it out for my new one.

Agreed, I have smaller plates fronts and back but with the correct font size and spacing. Iain's is clearly smaller font though.

iainw

That's not legal Iain. I believe the number/letters have to be of a precise size and font, anything else is not legal. You'd be unlucky to be stopped and they only issue a ticket so I wouldn't care! I take mine off entirely then put it on for MOT day etc!

I will see Dick lovetts in court then! I would have hoped a main ferrari dealer would know their beans?
It really sets off the GTO grill and makes a big difference to the front end.

D Walker

Number Plates Fitted After 1st September 2001

Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown below.

Characters
Group 1

Height
79mm

Width (except Number 1 or letter I)
50mm

Stroke
14mm

Space between characters
11mm

Space between groups
33mm

Top bottom and side margins (minimum)
11mm

Space between vertical lines
19mm

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I have a smaller plate on the front of mine, the same number and actual plate I had on my Elise
A common size is the 3/4 of original, but that to me was just too small and obviously illegal, so I had one made that nicely covered the plinth on the Elise.
It is still illegal, but not being obviously smaller, just right!

bigbob

My plate is normal height but very narrower as it has 4 characters so is no bigger than the frame that Maserati supply on the front of the car. Ditto sized on the back.

jasst

The stupid thing is, that having a plate of the incorrect font size/ spacing etc carries a £150 fine, for having no plate at all carries a £100 fine.

bigbob

The stupid thing is, that having a plate of the incorrect font size/ spacing etc carries a £150 fine, for having no plate at all carries a £100 fine.

Apparently if you put a compliant plate on the dashboard, have a straight through exhaust and a baseball cap on backwards then the police won't stop you....unless they have a Sky camera crew in the back and you are in Slough.

Andyk

I know I've said before but I got a tug from the law for having a small number plate on my Exige. I wouldn't bother....For me a small car like the Elise if sort of suits but a bigger car looks ok with a normal plate.

MrMickS

I know I've said before but I got a tug from the law for having a small number plate on my Exige. I wouldn't bother....For me a small car like the Elise if sort of suits but a bigger car looks ok with a normal plate.

It looks so much better with no plate at all.

IMG_3545.jpg

(much better now that the sticky is off but I've not taken a picture since)

I'll probably just put the standard plate back on though I could get one that's a little narrower and without the GB on it I guess.

Edit: Flipped the picture

iainw

Does it show the postcode of the plate maker? They need that too.

Easy solution for you Iain, buy a more expensive plate with fewer characters. Then they can make it narrower but taller to meet the requirements.

That would be a good idea - but its the height that we were trying to cut down not the width.
I did consider the plate 'F1' but the APR was too high on the 1.7 million. If they could have squeezed it down to 4% I would have snapped it up.