X pipe

jamesbilluk

Hi all

Been loving the GT so far, the only thing is, because it’s so well insulated, it’s tridky to hear the exhaust, even with the windows open. I do love the sound it makes, and the tone/howl at high revs, I’m just looking for something with a bit more volume, not to change the character or sound too muscle car like, I’ve read that the Larini X pipe can do just that hopefully! I would be fitting it to the standard backbox, I can’t seem to find a stockist though,

James

JonW

James

I've just fitted a Larini x-pipe to mine, and would highly recommend it. The noise when under acceleration is fabulous, as are the pops and crackles on the overrun.

I took mine today for a drive down to the hindhead tunnel, and drove through the tunnel with both windows open, and changing gear for fun...

JonW

James

It's fine on the motorway, and if you feel like a bit of peace and quiet (so you can listen to music, for example), I just take it out of Sport mode and then it's nice and quiet below 3,000 revs...

CatmanV2

I've got valved boxes and a normal x on mine. Sounds utterly divine in open and inoffensively glorious in closed.

C

jamesbilluk

Jon, that sounds brilliant, the boxster I had before, even with the sports exhaust on quiet did have a drone to it.

Catman, many thanks!

Think I’m sold on it now, would any exhaust center be able to fit the X pipe?

CatmanV2

What's normal X? Standard silenced X pipe? You not live with the H?

Yes silenced X. The H was simply too loud. Possibly cos my valves open all the way all the time? Dunno. In honesty I'm tempted by an unsilenced X but it sounds *so* good as is I might just leave it (although I need to replace Stuart's X-pipe at some point!)
C

JonW

Jon, that sounds brilliant, the boxster I had before, even with the sports exhaust on quiet did have a drone to it.

Catman, many thanks!

Think I’m sold on it now, would any exhaust center be able to fit the X pipe?

Yes - I think any exhaust plate could do it. My local garage fitted mine. They said it was a bit harder than they expected, but it still only cost me 1.5 hrs labour...

CLRut

Interesting - does this in any way invalidate the existing 3 yr warranty from Maserati?

azapa

It's no more complex that changing a centre section on any car

C

Mine was actually a complete b@gger to install as the tube sizes on the Larini are not good. I did a write up somewhere, but the swages are not well sized and require a huge amount of swear words and ratchet tie down straps to fit properly. Maybe I was just unlucky..

CatmanV2

Mine was actually a complete b@gger to install as the tube sizes on the Larini are not good. I did a write up somewhere, but the swages are not well sized and require a huge amount of swear words and ratchet tie down straps to fit properly. Maybe I was just unlucky..

Oh they can be difficult, but it's not complex

C