New Alfieri and Granturismo

Rwc13

Just heard some interesting news on this from a very good source. Apparently both the Alfieri and new Granturismo are ready. The only decision still to be made is on power trains. They are currently being tested with petrol, hybrid and electric power trains. Once a decision has been made, either car could move to production quite quickly. The delay, and the reason for restarting production of the current Granturismo, is China. It is such a large market for both cars, that Maserati need to await the outcome (in the next 12 months) of a Governent decision on future engine policy. This will dictate which power trains are adopted in China and worldwide. So as a stop gap, and because there remains solid demand for the existing Granturismo, Maserati restarted production of their halo car with upgraded infotainment. This will run for 3 years until either the Alfieri or Granturismo is launched. We will not get both at the same time. A decision on which comes first will be made based on market demand nearer the time. So 3 years looks like the timetable we are looking at for either new car. Interesting........ Let's hope we get petrol or at least hybrid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrun

They have to bring something our eventually however they don't seem to be in too much of a rush, that's for sure. I suspect they can engineer a solution that allows them to switch powertrain and gearbox to suit markets if required, that's what common architecture is all about and one of the advantages they have being able to access tech from FCA group brands and close relationships such as Ferrari.

Andyk

Great news if the above is right. Would be good to see these two models come to fruition.

bigbob

Thanks for posting. I agree with Peter's comments about mules but I guess they could be running around a lot of it in Ghibli/QPVI without it being obvious. Mind I find it strange that they don't just offer one as a mild, non plug in hybrid and get it launched, adjusting later as required.

I quite like it that the GT is getting a decent run out, shame that they did not squeeze the 8 speed ZF auto in given it is a reasonably long production cycle still. Have it in my Disco4 and it is lights year ahead of the 6 speed.

Rwc13

Re mules, I believe that's right. They will be built on derivations of this platform

safrane

Even running inside a Ghibli platform any new car would still need testing including wind and road noise as well as handling characteristics.

These cars would have been spotted by the motoring hacks some time back if the cars were 'ready' for production.

In addition it makes little sence to have a car ready for production following a muti millions investment and wait to decide on power plants due in over a years time... but then again the brand has made some poor and down right daft business decisions recently.

bigbob

You say poor decision making but they are now selling 50,000+ units pa. I had a Levante for a week a few months back and it is right on the money for what it is designed for.

safrane

Poor decision making - eight years to bring in a SUV
The still born Alfi shown in 2014 and still not here
GT production ends then starts again
Yes some of this is down to a lack of cash, but maybe they should end thier sponsorship of boats and polo and build a sports car.

Contigo

Sponsor
I agree, I saw nothing when I was at the factory or a whisper from a few people I talked to who would know these things and there surely would have been mules spotted at the ring and about just like we saw the MY2018 mule about.

I will believe it when I see it or if it's not on Sky Sports News it isn't true :D

MrMickS

You can do a lot with CFD etc these days. The designs may be ready but waiting for the powertrain decision before finalising what goes into production. There would be enough time for them to get mules out before full scale production starts. The last thing Maserati want to is to have mules of the next car driving around when its going to be a couple of years before you can buy one. It would kill current sales.

Rwc13

Amazing how some with absolutely zero experience think they know more about how to run a global car manufacturer than those that have been doing it for years. As Bigbob said, they've increased volumes and made the company pretty profitable again. Sure, we have had to wait for the new halo cars for a while, but better that than Maserati become the next Lancia.

safrane

I may have zero experience of car manufacturer but I do have 30 years of project management experience and it is clear that most of the risks that the brand has faced have become real issues which still remain.

Selling more cars does not result in profits when you carry a huge debt as a direct result of poor management and a lack of products that the market wants to buy.

Contigo

Sponsor
Maserati have got all safe these days, there is no way they would release a sporty halo model in that next year or two. End of thread!

* I hope I'm proved wrong.....

Rwc13

I may have zero experience of car manufacturer but I do have 30 years of project management experience and it is clear that most of the risks that the brand has faced have become real issues which still remain.

Selling more cars does not result in profits when you carry a huge debt as a direct result of poor management and a lack of products that the market wants to buy.

Ha ha. Totally qualified then..........

rockits

If there is one thing I have learnt in my almost 45 years on this planet it is this. Just because someone is doing something, has done something or has done something for a very long time doesn't make them right or any good at something.

I could pretty much guarantee that if I try singing for 45 years and I still won't be any good at it. Sometimes we presume people or companies inc govts know what they are doing when often they don't. You know what they say about presumption.

Rwc13

And if there's one thing I've learnt in my 53 years on this planet it's that people on forums that think they do know better rarely actually do

outrun

Amazing how some with absolutely zero experience think they know more about how to run a global car manufacturer than those that have been doing it for years. As Bigbob said, they've increased volumes and made the company pretty profitable again. Sure, we have had to wait for the new halo cars for a while, but better that than Maserati become the next Lancia.

Why do you think that any of us want to hear the truth? Where is the fun in that? Party pooper.