Rant Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedish Paul

Money laundering is the reason I think. Even in Sweden, you cannot even draw 500 pounds worth of Krona in cash even if you use a bank teller (or deposit it come to that).

Navcorr

Money laundering is the reason I think. Even in Sweden, you cannot even draw 500 pounds worth of Krona in cash even if you use a bank teller (or deposit it come to that).

That was fun a few years back when the banks started insisting on knowing your inside leg measurement before withdrawing tuppence. A mate's Grandmum got a little brassed off with it after 60+ years with the same bank - so advised the "young man" she needed the money for her pimp. The look on his face! :smile:

CatmanV2

Would think the vast majority of high street bank's customers rarely need their existing cash limit let alone more. Card/online purchasing, etc. instead.

Agreed. I tend to have £50ish on me as I don't like not having *some* money. Tends to be the same £50 for *weeks*

C

D Walker

We would be fecked as there isn't enough money to do that

Exactamondo!!
Like when I bought my 4200, I had to transfer the money in 3 lots, The Northern Rock never asked my Dad if they could bet all his money on a 3 legged horse did they....But at least they said sorry, that's ok then, the fact is he's now poor and too proud to accept a hand, got me going now, wife's brother is a Senior Manager in Yorkshire Bank, we don't discuss it at family do's!!!

hoyin

Yeah I had the same problem. Not betting. But paying for the car. Max I could transfer was £20k unless it was previously agreed.

Lucky I was organised and I transferred the amounts a couple of days before into various accounts so I could make the final payment from multiple accounts simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navcorr

The last time I organised a "large" withdrawal (no sexual innuendo implied ) I was dismayed to be told there where no private rooms to count the money. The bank insisted once the cash had left the till they were no longer insured against loss. The manager refused to let me use her office on the same grounds. No such difficulty at Nationwide - now I only use a "bank" for mundane everyday bills, etc.

CatmanV2

Yeah I had the same problem. Not betting. But paying for the car. Max I could transfer was £20k unless it was previously agreed.

When I bought the GT I was told I would be fine. Then I tried, and hit a £20k limit with a bang. Was *not* amused. To give HSBC their due they did fall over themselves to sort it out

C

Wattie

When I bought the GT I was told I would be fine. Then I tried, and hit a £20k limit with a bang. Was *not* amused. To give HSBC their due they did fall over themselves to sort it out

C
HSBC......they refuse people their money back in the name of anti money laundering.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-25861717

Hilarious given that HSBC just paid the biggest ever fine for money laundering for the cartel!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/dec/11/hsbc-bank-us-money-laundering

Oh and Switzerland too
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/feb/12/hsbc-files-swiss-bank-hid-money-for-suspected-criminals

Of course, no HSBC bankers went to jail for all this illegality.

Ps. As a warning, any money deposited in a bank is no longer your money!

Cheers Wattie

CatmanV2

Sure I'm not out to defend 'my' bank but point one more accurately 'refused' to. In 2014. Again, 'was' in 2013. And the Swiss part strictly refers to a bank they acquired in 1999.

I suspect in relation to all the other banks this is a case of the 11th commandment.

C

rockits

I think we should all empty th banks of our money. Remind them who they lend money from.
I would love to see that day. Problem is we are such a cashless society now you could barely spend much of it. However that could be a natural fix to another massive national issue.

I bought a car once cash several years ago. The sales person asked how will you be paying for it...I said cash. When I walked a few days later & dumped a few k on the desk she looked at me as if I were nuts. I thought you were paying by cash she said.....I am...there it is. I thought you were going to bring in a cheque. Er no...then that would be paying by cheque.....cash is cash. Some people have different terminology & interpretation of words I understood that day!

MrPea

It was quite fun paying for my first Spyder in cash - it was a private sale being completed outside normal bank hours so that was my only reasonable way of doing it all in one go. I had to order the cash in to the bank as they don't hold 5 figure sums of money on-site at the main high-street branch. I did have the fun of going into the "private" glass room and then all the blinds going down to count the money. The cashier did ask what it's for and I said a car so she dutifully asked what car? When I said a Maserati she nearly fell over begging me to see it when I had it.
Thankfully when buying Myfanwy, I was dealing with Dicky, so knew it was a safe transaction. I still had to do it in two parts though - one for £1, to confirm I was using the correct bank details for him, followed by a rather large sum.

Sommi

I bank with Natwest and once needed cash urgently to the tune of £1500 within an hour. Next day was Sunday and I did not have any ID or my bank card with me. After offering almost Weinstien appreciated services and answering secret questions truthfully to get my money, the bank manager relented that I could take out £ 1500 from ATM from then on. I still have that limit!

zagatoes30

I still had to do it in two parts though - one for £1, to confirm I was using the correct bank details for him, followed by a rather large sum.

£2 ?

I did the same when I sold my Spyder, took a payment for £1 to prove account details and then the remainder

MrMickS

Why do some people insist on braking for corners regardless of the speed they are doing, or braking for a green traffic light? The latter is presumably in case it changes, what are they going to do if it changes when they are right on it? Emergency stop?

I think that for some people self driving cars can't come soon enough at least they'd have predictable behaviour.

MrPea

There's an off-straight section of dual carriageway close to where I live which, at the same time, has a bit more overhang from some trees. I'd say that at least 60% of people slow down at this point, most of them using their brakes. "Oh no, the 70mph zone slightly curves. I must reduce my speed to 50!"

MrMickS

There's an off-straight section of dual carriageway close to where I live which, at the same time, has a bit more overhang from some trees. I'd say that at least 60% of people slow down at this point, most of them using their brakes. "Oh no, the 70mph zone slightly curves. I must reduce my speed to 50!"

That brings to mind another peeve from the weekend. Driving out along the dual carriageway we spot everyone braking and pulling into lane 1. "What's up?", we say as we cruise past at 70. They were slowing because there's a safety camera van in lane 1 doing 60 and they didn't want to pass it in case they were caught speeding. Apparently there are a lot of people on the roads that have no idea what the speed limits are on unmarked roads so just go along with what everyone else is doing!

GeoffCapes

People who smoke outside hospital doors right in front of the sign that says "NO SMOKING ANYWHERE ON THIS NHS TRUST PROPERTY"

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.