The new Maserati GranTurismo

BL330

A couple of us discussed this very thread topic with the General Manager of Maserati Australia recently at our Concours.
He said that all the regional managers were called to a planning meeting where they got to throw the future product needs of their markets into the ring. The GT replacement was discussed at length.
He said by 2020 we should see a smaller GT about the size of the Gransport we were standing in front of. It will most likely be fully electric but he says that throws up a large problem. They recognise sound is one of the distinctive Maserati features that customers value. It is a real problem they are grappling with.

bigbob

A couple of us discussed this very thread topic with the General Manager of Maserati Australia recently at our Concours.
He said that all the regional managers were called to a planning meeting where they got to throw the future product needs of their markets into the ring. The GT replacement was discussed at length.
He said by 2020 we should see a smaller GT about the size of the Gransport we were standing in front of. It will most likely be fully electric but he says that throws up a large problem. They recognise sound is one of the distinctive Maserati features that customers value. It is a real problem they are grappling with.

I have been told the same, first new coupe will be smallish and electric, GranTurismo replacement after.

I have never understood why some people get all offended by the current Turin produced cars. I saw a red Ghibli today and it looked great, mind the two guys getting into it made me look very young! If these cars give us the coupes at some stage then fine...happy campers. If not then I am off and so be it. There is plenty of choice currently and coming with Jaguar, Aston Martin and TVR that there will be something good looking and with a nice engine to waste some ££ on.

conaero

Forum Owner
Some very interesting thoughts here guys and we generally agree on the failings but yes we also have to accept the need to appeal to mass markets.

For me at my stage of life I find myself in a position to be able to afford to buy a new Maserati if I wish but I won’t be hoodwinked with any old tat they try to tart up.

For now, I am smitten with the Strad and I feel I will own it for a few years yet then it will be a new Maserati or switch brand (Lambo is an inch I need to scratch)

safrane

I will be shocked if they deliver a full electric small coupe by 2020, that is just 2 years away and there has been no news about a re-gig of the factory or a huge investment in battery tech by FCA... as far as I am aware there are no FE cars in the FCA range.

If Munsk and Co are struggling to make a profit (and make the cars) despite billions in investment how an earth are Maserati to manage.

Just stick a TT V6 into the Alfi' and get that in the showrooms pronto and stick the duracell tech into the Ghibli and chuck out the soot motors.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Good thread.

Of the current crop, only the GTS / Strad really makes my socks go up and down. Having had my GTS for six years I’d actually like to get in something smaller and pointier next, but with no less comfort. Unfortunately that rules out Maserati for at least three years. That said, I’m sure my head could be turned by a Strad - the styling and design is gorgeous enough that even the hardest of hearts could gladly forgive it it’s size.

TridentTested

I spent the journey chuckling how bouncy and almost out of control I felt,,,, at 40 MPH but I loved it. You do not need to go fast to enjoy driving.

It's why I do most of those journeys on the motorbike these days. I bought a (very good BTW) Sena bluetooth kit for my helmet and my daughter's. We have great conversations en route to swimming lessons etc and she is developing a healthy interest in finding twisty roads to play with. On any journey, even the plod to school, we can always find a bit of the road to enjoy and laugh about.

They have definatly lost their way. If someone used to ask me what a maserati is i used to always say its like an itallian aston martin.

...cant really say that anyomore because maserati seem to be aspiring to be jaguar... only problem is they dont make as good a car as jaguar.

Even aston martin managed to keep the db9 fresh for 12 years and gave it nearly 100 extra bhp on the way.

The 'new' grantourismo is a disapointing end to an amazing car.

iainw

They have definatly lost their way. If someone used to ask me what a maserati is i used to always say its like an itallian aston martin.

...cant really say that anyomore because maserati seem to be aspiring to be jaguar... only problem is they dont make as good a car as jaguar.

Even aston martin managed to keep the db9 fresh for 12 years and gave it nearly 100 extra bhp on the way.

The 'new' grantourismo is a disapointing end to an amazing car.

I agree with this. For
Maserati it’s a case of bad management and once you are out of the premier league you plummet through the divisions.

MrMickS

I agree with this. For
Maserati it’s a case of bad management and once you are out of the premier league you plummet through the divisions.

With the link with Ferrari Maserati instantly dropped out of the Premier League. Ferrari didn't want them there simple as that. Its not a question of management but a question of what Maranello wants. Maserati are still lying about the actual output of the engine in the GT in order not to put Ferrari noses out of joint.

There is no point in them bringing out a V6TT coupe quickly if the platform won't take hybrid, or full electric, in the very near future.

Musk's issues are that he's a tit that thinks that he knows best and has an RFD bigger than Steve Jobs (which takes some doing). He thought that he could build a car whilst setting up a new production line and everything would just work. It turns out that it won't so he's now found that there is a difference between mass production and hand build.

I'd expect the new Maserati coupe to be hand built, at least initially, so could be done on the lines in Modena without a need for massive new automation. That said if its going to be out in 2020 it really needs to be at Geneva next year.

Classico

Ahh..the old Alfa Giulia QV spanner in the works.

Maserati under FCA have definitely lost their way - yes, we all know about the sales driven Levante and Ghibli - but Marchionne pushing and delivering the more performance based models such as the 4C and Giulia QV under Alfa?

Give us some positive news Maserati. Sooner than later.