2008-2009 GT Buying advice needed

iainw

My only concern with the MC box is that the car is going to be used in London. The 458 feels like overkill in the traffic, not sure how this would be.

I had an Mc shift and did 10-15 mile commutes
In traffic very often. I was worried , like you , as I knew little about the car. I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Auto mode was fine , but personally I always drove it with the paddles. I had no problems and would do it again. Amazing proper 4 seated car. Ironically I will be doing the same soon- potentially with a 458. Would you say I will regret that choice?!

GeoffCapes

I think the 'pain' of the MC Shift in traffic is over exaggerated.

We're so nannied these days people want self driving cars!

So you have to take it out of gear to save the clutch in traffic. Big deal. It's not a seamless crawl. So what?

Manual cars are more hard work to be honest.

The best thing about being in traffic in the GT is all the positive attention you get.

Andyk

Thanks for the positive comments on mine.

In terms of what's next, I'm not 100% sure. I do know that while I still have mine I'll never get round to ctaually making a decision but will just lose days on AutoTrader. I'd far rather lose days driving and drooling over something new. So I'll sell what I've got and put myself in a position where I can actually make a decision and act on it.

Something smaller is important - these are big cars and I don't really need something that big now. A 2+2 or even a two-seater would be fine. A big engine and a sense of driver engagement conbined with decent comfort is key. And a good noise.

One thing I've come to love about the MC 'box on the GTS is how engaged you feel with the car - you need to actually drive it, to think about the gears, where you want the power and how to use the 'box to hit the points where you want to maximise torque, traction or outright grunt. I don't get the sense that more modern dual-clutch cars, whilst being more technically advanced, offer that level of engagement. For me the MC is a perfect mid-point between a manual and the 'lazy' ease of a full auto.

The shortlist is probably something like an F-Type V8 (but it loses out on the 'box and it doesn't sound as good), an Aston V12 Vantage S (but the bloody things are expensive to the point where it could cause domestic turbulence) or something I haven't though of yet. Or a Strad, with two seats.

If you get a V12 Vantage S can I come and live with you please....

JonW

Thanks for the positive comments on mine.

In terms of what's next, I'm not 100% sure. I do know that while I still have mine I'll never get round to ctaually making a decision but will just lose days on AutoTrader. I'd far rather lose days driving and drooling over something new. So I'll sell what I've got and put myself in a position where I can actually make a decision and act on it.

Something smaller is important - these are big cars and I don't really need something that big now. A 2+2 or even a two-seater would be fine. A big engine and a sense of driver engagement conbined with decent comfort is key. And a good noise.

One thing I've come to love about the MC 'box on the GTS is how engaged you feel with the car - you need to actually drive it, to think about the gears, where you want the power and how to use the 'box to hit the points where you want to maximise torque, traction or outright grunt. I don't get the sense that more modern dual-clutch cars, whilst being more technically advanced, offer that level of engagement. For me the MC is a perfect mid-point between a manual and the 'lazy' ease of a full auto.

The shortlist is probably something like an F-Type V8 (but it loses out on the 'box and it doesn't sound as good), an Aston V12 Vantage S (but the bloody things are expensive to the point where it could cause domestic turbulence) or something I haven't though of yet. Or a Strad, with two seats.

A V12 Vantage S is currently top of my next car list... did you drive one last week? If yes, how was it in comparison to your GTS

CatmanV2

I never really found the 4200 that much a problem in traffic. Clutch seems to have held up well as well

C

bigbob

My only concern with the MC box is that the car is going to be used in London. The 458 feels like overkill in the traffic, not sure how this would be.

As usual on here a number of people present the MC as the only gearbox choice rather making it clear that it is just an opinion. For all those newbies asking this question I always suggest driving the 4.7 in both auto and MC box versions and then taking a view. This will give a far better chance of you buying the right car for you rather than buying it to keep other people happy. You already have a balls out supercar so ask yourself whether you need the GranTurismo to try...and fail...to emulate that (weight, power etc) or whether you want it to have a bit of sportiness and an easy life in traffic and servicing costs? Don't mind which you buy as long as you buy it for your reasons...

PS Depreciation wise what about a GranCabrio? Nice for cruising London streets in summer and space for four, better to hear an uprated exhaust too!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
If you want an auto then buy an auto. Don't for goodness sake use the MC in auto mode - it's pretty dim-witted. Works better in Sport auto but best of all in MC / manual mode. I have Ferrari 599 GTO software on the TCU and it's blisteringly quick and deliciously smooth. With the x-pipe it makes a lovely noise and that nice "crack" as you bang up in to the next gear when you've got the throttle most of the way open and the revs over (I think) 4 or 5k. As Bob says, give the actual auto with the ZF box a go as well. it's a lovely car and there are advantages to the auto over the MC. Depends what you prefer.

If you get a V12 Vantage S can I come and live with you please....

How're your decorating and light construction skills, Andy? I may need some help around here: it's become clear that the cost of the next car will likely include at least one bathroom, two decorated bedrooms and a carport. At least the latter is something I actually want!

A V12 Vantage S is currently top of my next car list... did you drive one last week? If yes, how was it in comparison to your GTS

Yes, I drove a roadster and it was wonderful. The secondary cats had been removed and the sound was fantastic, especially as you get the revs up beyond 4k and with the roof down. I was laughing like a fool. No kind of poker face for price negotiations. Despite the obvious fun-factor of a roadster, though, I think the coupe is a better looking car and has a shade more headroom - my hair was brushing the headlining with the roof up. The reality is that I'd seldom drive with the roof down so the idea of a convertible is likely better than the reality of one.

As well as the sound, the things I especially liked were the separately switchable dampers, traction control and sport / not sport settings. Where the difference on the GTS between sport and not sport is quite subtle, the Vantage in Track mode on the dampers was extraordinary. Seriously pointy and very fidgeting. The sport setting is a better compromise, and still noticeably different compared to normal mode.

Switching the drive mode to Sport turned the thing into something like a greyhound with an exorcet up his ar5e. Just amazing, and feriociously quick. Back into normal mode is was very docile and an easy drive. A bit more fidgety than the GTS but it's 2 feet shorter, so the wheelsbase alone will account for a lot of that.

The interior was very nicely done. Lots of well-stitched leather, instruments were clear, the haptic feedback on the fascia controls was nice, infotainment pretty good (although the one I drove had the last gen system - AMi II) and the lightweight sports seats extremely confortable. I got the sense they'd be great on a long journey as well, but the normal seats are a bit more sumptuous.

There's been quite a bit of grumbling about the semi-auto / double-plate gearbox (sound familiar..?). I actually really liked it. As I mentioned above with the MC 'box in the GTS, it offers a degree of engagement beyond what an auto deivers (just my view, before Bob puts pen to paper again!). Purists are getting all excited about the dog-leg manual but just can't see the point, personally. I'm not a racing driver from the fifties and enjoy not having to jump up and down on a clutch every time I want to change gear. I love driving manual cars, but only for a change. If I have to crawl through traffic or prefer to select a different gear without letting go of the wheel then the paddles work just fine. It felt like the gearchange was every bit as quick as mine. No complaints there at all.

I personally don't think it looks as good or sounds as good as the GTS, and obviously has only two seats, but as a driver's car it's just great, and could as happily cross continents as have a back road blast. Oh, and the carbon brakes were superb. Even at cold they were very controllable - you could easily feather the brakes and trail-breaking was a dream.

Is it worth a £30-50k premium over a fairly new GTS? Of course not! That's just daft in the same way that having any kind of silly car is just daft. But that doesn't stop us. We're a long time dead and if I can figure out how to justify the spend then I will. In some ways the Vantage is more under-stated than the GTS, the smaller size is a big bonus and it's a dream to drive.

bigbob

the MC 'box in the GTS, it offers a degree of engagement beyond what an auto deivers (just my view, before Bob puts pen to paper again!)..

Having driven an MC I do agree with this (surprised?). The trick is looking at your use of the car and working out which gearbox suits this best. If I (nearly) only ever used mine in Sport Manual then I would have an MC but not enough of my usage meets this criteria. I've said it before but as a high days and holidays car if you don't live in a big city then the MC box is great but if I still lived in London I would get annoyed with the MC box.

JonW

Yes, I drove a roadster and it was wonderful. The secondary cats had been removed and the sound was fantastic, especially as you get the revs up beyond 4k and with the roof down. I was laughing like a fool. No kind of poker face for price negotiations. Despite the obvious fun-factor of a roadster, though, I think the coupe is a better looking car and has a shade more headroom - my hair was brushing the headlining with the roof up. The reality is that I'd seldom drive with the roof down so the idea of a convertible is likely better than the reality of one.

As well as the sound, the things I especially liked were the separately switchable dampers, traction control and sport / not sport settings. Where the difference on the GTS between sport and not sport is quite subtle, the Vantage in Track mode on the dampers was extraordinary. Seriously pointy and very fidgeting. The sport setting is a better compromise, and still noticeably different compared to normal mode.

Switching the drive mode to Sport turned the thing into something like a greyhound with an exorcet up his ar5e. Just amazing, and feriociously quick. Back into normal mode is was very docile and an easy drive. A bit more fidgety than the GTS but it's 2 feet shorter, so the wheelsbase alone will account for a lot of that.

The interior was very nicely done. Lots of well-stitched leather, instruments were clear, the haptic feedback on the fascia controls was nice, infotainment pretty good (although the one I drove had the last gen system - AMi II) and the lightweight sports seats extremely confortable. I got the sense they'd be great on a long journey as well, but the normal seats are a bit more sumptuous.

There's been quite a bit of grumbling about the semi-auto / double-plate gearbox (sound familiar..?). I actually really liked it. As I mentioned above with the MC 'box in the GTS, it offers a degree of engagement beyond what an auto deivers (just my view, before Bob puts pen to paper again!). Purists are getting all excited about the dog-leg manual but just can't see the point, personally. I'm not a racing driver from the fifties and enjoy not having to jump up and down on a clutch every time I want to change gear. I love driving manual cars, but only for a change. If I have to crawl through traffic or prefer to select a different gear without letting go of the wheel then the paddles work just fine. It felt like the gearchange was every bit as quick as mine. No complaints there at all.

I personally don't think it looks as good or sounds as good as the GTS, and obviously has only two seats, but as a driver's car it's just great, and could as happily cross continents as have a back road blast. Oh, and the carbon brakes were superb. Even at cold they were very controllable - you could easily feather the brakes and trail-breaking was a dream.

Is it worth a £30-50k premium over a fairly new GTS? Of course not! That's just daft in the same way that having any kind of silly car is just daft. But that doesn't stop us. We're a long time dead and if I can figure out how to justify the spend then I will. In some ways the Vantage is more under-stated than the GTS, the smaller size is a big bonus and it's a dream to drive.

Brilliant post. Hope you manage to work out what it is you need to do to persuade (bribe) your wife, and buy one.

P.s. If you do, please pick a nice one, as I would like to be first in the queue to buy it off you in 2-3 yrs time...!

hashluck

If you want an auto then buy an auto. Don't for goodness sake use the MC in auto mode - it's pretty dim-witted. Works better in Sport auto but best of all in MC / manual mode. I have Ferrari 599 GTO software on the TCU and it's blisteringly quick and deliciously smooth. With the x-pipe it makes a lovely noise and that nice "crack" as you bang up in to the next gear when you've got the throttle most of the way open and the revs over (I think) 4 or 5k. As Bob says, give the actual auto with the ZF box a go as well. it's a lovely car and there are advantages to the auto over the MC. Depends what you prefer.

How're your decorating and light construction skills, Andy? I may need some help around here: it's become clear that the cost of the next car will likely include at least one bathroom, two decorated bedrooms and a carport. At least the latter is something I actually want!

Yep good write up and summary all spot on in my opinion

Andyk

Love reading your experience.....I've never driven one but been a passenger and it blew me away. My dream car which I'm pretty sure I've said a few times. woth the new Vantage out this year prices are already forming up fr the V12. Yes the very last ones have some way to fall but he ones at 85 to 95k just don't seem to be falling price wise. That shape, that engine, that noise, that interior that for me fitted like a glove..........And the dealerships make you feel like you are a very special person....well the ones I've been to have. For me the V12 Vantage and the GTS operate in very different sectors....the V12 was 40k more new for starters and is a step up performance wise.......As you can see Adam I think it's worth the dong the stuff at home just to have it on your driveway.....and yes When do you want me to start.

AaronE

side by side at work:
17c64fbc1f7424dc68d7c0247fce74b6.jpg

spkennyuk

That yellow kerb stone in front of the Maserati looks mighty close. It would have taken the number plate off if it had one on a UK car

StuartW

Sorry to see you're selling your lovely GTS Adam but onwards & upwards. Good luck with the sale and I look forward to hearing about what's next

I'm also firmly in the V12 Vantage S admirers club, I daren't take one for a test drive as the desire to pay off my mortgage by 50 will be a mere pipe dream!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to see you're selling your lovely GTS Adam but onwards & upwards. Good luck with the sale and I look forward to hearing about what's next

I'm also firmly in the V12 Vantage S admirers club, I daren't take one for a test drive as the desire to pay off my mortgage by 50 will be a mere pipe dream!

Thanks Stuart. Quick reminder about man maths - the future appreciation of the V12S will easisly pay off your mortgage and likely buy you a Tuscan farmhouse as well.

Sorted!

PS - that line of argument hasn't worked with my wife yet. Apparently she's heard it before at some point. Strange, must have been some other bloke.

iainw

54 pounds a month shouldn't affect those plans...
Ask Adam if you don't believe me :)

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
54 pounds a month shouldn't affect those plans...
Ask Adam if you don't believe me :)

Don't mislead, Iain - it was £54.88 / month. Watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves!

It's true. Seriously, I nearly fell off my chair. £54.88 / month for a V12 Vantage S roadster with 16k miles on the clock. Black on black, yellow stitching. Looks the dog's back wheels. Although the deposit is approximately the shape of a GTS and the optional balloon about the shape of a Strad, there's no denying that £54.88/month is certainly eye-catching!