Well, that stings....

conaero

Forum Owner
Matt correct IMO, I don't think you will be able to polish that out, I can see primer. Sorry mate, sandpaper or smart fix IMO.

I am pretty confident those are just clear coat scratches.

Run it down to me I’ll sort it.

MrPea

I wish I shared your confidence :) We shall see. And even if they are not, it's just a car. ;)

C
It's the sort of finish that the valet parking at Heathrow gave my car. It took me not much time to make the scratches all but disappear with some decent polishing. Take up Matt's offer, unless you happen to be swinging past Oxford in which case I'll help.

CatmanV2

It's the sort of finish that the valet parking at Heathrow gave my car. It took me not much time to make the scratches all but disappear with some decent polishing. Take up Matt's offer, unless you happen to be swinging past Oxford in which case I'll help.

Thanks, I will

C

namaste

Wipe some white spirit over the scratches, if they disappear, its in the clear coat and could be flattened/buffed out. As Conaro said, I'd go with some 1500 grit and a small block and lightly flatten down until the scratches are near gone, then 2000, then pass with some cutting compound. I use Meguiars 101 with foam pads on a DA. Fast cut and nice finish.

madmanmart

That’s unlucky, there are some c**ts around.
I’ll be amazed if that comes out with polishing, looks like it’ll need paint to me.

conaero

Forum Owner
Wipe some white spirit over the scratches, if they disappear, its in the clear coat and could be flattened/buffed out. As Conaro said, I'd go with some 1500 grit and a small block and lightly flatten down until the scratches are near gone, then 2000, then pass with some cutting compound. I use Meguiars 101 with foam pads on a DA. Fast cut and nice finish.

My product of choice is the 3M Fast cut (GREEN) Mid cut (YELLOW) and Ultrafina (BLUE) and it gives incredible results especially the Ultrafina diminishing polish for swirls and glass finishing.

EnzoMC

View attachment 47483

I know it's not all going to polish out :( What's the preferred though, now? G3?

Cheers

C

ouch.. most of it should polish out with, as Matt suggested some wet sanding and then various compounds - my concern is some marks look deep down to the primer - if only a few marks left then these could be filled in and sanded down. it will still notice if you look for it but from a distance it would be good.

have products you can use if you want or happy to help out if you get stuck...

namaste

My product of choice is the 3M Fast cut (GREEN) Mid cut (YELLOW) and Ultrafina (BLUE) and it gives incredible results especially the Ultrafina diminishing polish for swirls and glass finishing.

Seems like similar stuff. Seems you have to spend near £40 a litre to get something that works. I'm limited to foam pads and a DA though and the 101 is specifically designed for foam pads. I pass over it with a Menzerna ultrafine polish and it basically makes near no difference. Amazed a cutting compound can give a polished finish, but I think its largely down to the lacquer on these cars being so hard, you need something quite harsh to get a cut. One thing I definitely steer away from is the G3/G6 stuff. The time I've wasted trying to compound with that. Terrible cut and terrible finish.

This year I'm going to finish off some touch ups on my GT. Probably going to give the front bumper a respray, then give the whole thing a proper detail. I'm looking for a polish that sits between the meguiars 101 and the ultrafine polish like the Menzerna I have.

CatmanV2

All getting complex :D Thanks all. It's pretty low down my list, although I may use it as a primer for the excellent Enzo polishing course! :)

C

keith

I had albeit one single, but deep scratch where the roof meets the C Pillar. It was easily deep enough to get your finger nail in.
The body shop I use- Fast Lane Sunningdale did a fantastic job wet sanding and then polishing. The result, if you shine a spotlight on the location you can see a feint line in the lacquer, in all normal conditions it's invisible.
I am sure given the depth of the scratch i had, they could sort your car if you want to go there. If so ask for Steve or Alex.

Corranga

That's terrible. Some people really shouldn't be allowed to drive :(

Hope you get it sorted, and get some pics up here so we can see how it turns out.

I appreciate it's not the ideal situation for you overall, but it has to be said - what a great place this is!