Anyone want a GS for under £18k?

safrane

Potential different emissions and Cats so may nit be a powerful. There would also be import duties and VAT on this if you wanted to bring it to the UK. Finaly has it been serviced every year with such low miles.

Ewan

Friend of mine bought a GS Spyder in from the USA a few months back. After the import costs it still came to about a £15k saving over an equivalent RHD UK car. He has a boat in Europe, so the plan is to use this car to go and from (or possibly leave at the marina, so that if he flies out he needn't use a hateful hire car).

agooner

Assume car is £18k, allow £1500 for shipping, I think duty is 10% of that total so £1.95k, then VAT at 20% on top. That brings it up to £25.74k. Unknowns are any storage costs at shippers waiting for clearance plus a PPI in the US. Headlamps will need to be changed to comply with UK law. Then it has to be UK registered, and MOTd.

So the additional costs bring it close to where UK cars are being advertised (but with much lower mileage).

Navcorr

So the additional costs bring it close to where UK cars are being advertised (but with much lower mileage).

+1

Have been looking at the US Spyder market for a while - for the same reasons as Ewan's friend i.e. primarily for use in Europe.
The conclusion above is fairly typical and it "appears" a number of cars are sold around about when you could reasonably expect the clutch needs changing.
It can be troublesome getting confirmation of this though - got to advanced stages of discussions last summer with a US dealer only to find out the clutch needed doing.
This despite having repeatedly asked, however, the delay in discussions meant Storm Harvey hit Houston before a deal was done.
Think I dodged a bullet though as I'm not sure Marine insurance would have covered the car whilst sitting at the docks? Anybody know?

All I would say is, the same as any deal, but more so when overseas, don't take anything at face value.

Rwc13

Isn't there a lower rate of VAT/duty available for used cars on reimportation if manufactured in the EU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agooner

Isn’t there a lower rate of VAT/duty available for used cars on reimportation if manufactured in the EU?

I think I did see something about that but my take was the assumption that the car had been manufactured and SOLD in the EU, therefore VAT had been paid within the EU originally. As this car is in the US then not sure if VAT has been paid (if so, possibly by Maserati NA to export it to US). So there may be a lower rate (£50) possible but its unclear to me.