Sorted for Summer

Lozzer

The mot was due on the 3200 June time, just when I would be wanting to put some mileage in, so I've bitten the bullet and put her in 2 months early. No horror story here though, I'm pleased to say she passed with only an advisory on rear disc pitting (on the inside faces), so I will be looking to replace discs/pads/shoes etc sometime soon, other than that here's to a summer of petrol guzzling adventures in the old girl, not having to worry about the looming mot, hope to see some of you sometime while I'm "out and about" :excellent:
Cheers
Loz

alfatwo

Let me know how you get on with the rear brakes Loz, as mine or due next month too

Dave

highlander

Good news lozzer and slightly jealous, have had to settle on no marci this summer due to finances not being available till end of summer to fix what ever is wrong with her. The cayenne is fine, but no maser., and deffo no 3200!... :(

redsonnylee

Fab news, my old 3200 was always due in February so used to hold my breath especially the first few years of ownership.

A great feeling when it’s all sorted for another year.

Lozzer

Indeed chaps, mot day, I can't remember feeling like that for hours since the wife was in labour.. :worried1:

Lozzer

Let me know how you get on with the rear brakes Loz, as mine or due next month too

Dave

I will do Dave, not looking forward to it, in light of some recent posts, knowing my luck will take the disc off and watch everything behind fall apart lol, I have the sch733 shoes coming, as far as I can tell there is no fitting kit available for the shoes? Not decided on pads yet, ebc yellow or red?
Ta
Loz

Lozzer

Yellows for me. Put them on my 4200 and they were a massive improvement.

Cheers Mark, I've read loads of positives regarding the yellow stuff ones, reading the ebc website the reds are streetwise with very ittle brakedust and also kinder to discs? Just putting feelers out incase anyone had tried them.
Ta
Loz

Lozzer

Good news lozzer and slightly jealous, have had to settle on no marci this summer due to finances not being available till end of summer to fix what ever is wrong with her. The cayenne is fine, but no maser., and deffo no 3200!... :(
Well that was short lived lol, 2 weeks on and I feel your pain.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

alfatwo

Cheers Mark, I've read loads of positives regarding the yellow stuff ones, reading the ebc website the reds are streetwise with very ittle brakedust and also kinder to discs? Just putting feelers out incase anyone had tried them.
Ta
Loz

I'm going to stick with the standard Ferodo pads as they seem ok for road use..

As we all know the brake calipers are far too small for such a heavy car!

Dave

sospanbach

just a quick one dave the other day put a new battery on my 3200 when terminals were attached to new battery the parking lights came on soon turned them of pushing switch, is this something they all do when re attaching terminals ? thanks dave

FIFTY

I have used Red stuff on my 330i and the Scirocco while.the 4200 is on yellow stuff

Yellow Stuff definitely a better pad and outweighs the red stuff's advantages... they both need to be brought to temperature to work to their full potential but the yellows are much better than the red when cold which can be a bit dumb/grabby

highlander

I have used Red stuff on my 330i and the Scirocco while.the 4200 is on yellow stuff

Yellow Stuff definitely a better pad and outweighs the red stuff's advantages... they both need to be brought to temperature to work to their full potential but the yellows are much better than the red when cold which can be a bit dumb/grabby
Agree

Lozzer

Dave
Had the rear brakes apart this afternoon, the shoes fit fine although the nearside back plate felt very weak (with the shoes fitted the spring tension was bending it inwards). I'm going to see if I can get hold of a used one, it looks a simple shape and shouldn't be too hard to replicate out of stainless maybe?
Ta
Loz
f06cdff3d3229bd4ade08028c4da0024.jpg

spyderbags

MadManMart sorted me a decent used pair recently and if I remember correctly he had another set. They are getting very difficult to find.

Lozzer

MadManMart sorted me a decent used pair recently and if I remember correctly he had another set. They are getting very difficult to find.
Thanks for that Spyder I will drop him a line.

Caldy999

Had the rear brakes apart this afternoon, the shoes fit fine although the nearside back plate felt very weak (with the shoes fitted the spring tension was bending it inwards). I'm going to see if I can get hold of a used one, it looks a simple shape and shouldn't be too hard to replicate out of stainless maybe?
Ta
Loz
f06cdff3d3229bd4ade08028c4da0024.jpg

Are your shoe retaining springs held with an R clip? Mine were seized upon dismantling so had to break them and drill out the snapped parts. Couldn't source replacement R clips locally so tried split pins - useless. They simply bent whilst fiddling the hub over the shoes and pulled through the backplate which flexes and looks about to snap. Reassembly on hold until new R clips arrive from eBay. Where have all the small motor factors gone - their man draws could always come up with something.

Lozzer

Are your shoe retaining springs held with an R clip? Mine were seized upon dismantling so had to break them and drill out the snapped parts. Couldn't source replacement R clips locally so tried split pins - useless. They simply bent whilst fiddling the hub over the shoes and pulled through the backplate which flexes and looks about to snap. Reassembly on hold until new R clips arrive from eBay. Where have all the small motor factors gone - their man draws could always come up with something.
No Caldy, retained with what looks like a keyhole pin you turn 90 degrees to lock in, what year is your car? Not seen the R clip before? Picture?
Ta
Loz

Caldy999

No Caldy, retained with what looks like a keyhole pin you turn 90 degrees to lock in, what year is your car? Not seen the R clip before? Picture?
Ta
Loz

2002 Spyder
56AE480B-7641-41E8-BC13-1800FCDE519E.jpg
F475C852-3AC8-430E-A325-9DE92D715D92.jpg