The Sat Nav (2005

CatmanV2

It could also be that it's waiting to download the ephemeris data which can take some time (like hours). This is particularly possible if the car has not been used for some a while.

Doesn't it have a screen which tells you how many satellites it can see? It's been too long since I've used it.

C

Delmonte

I figured as much. That's where I'd start. See if there are actually any satelites being seen

C

Cheers lads, we may have a nail on head moment. I get nothing but '-' in number of satellites. Drove 6 miles with Nav on and got nothing the whole way (but still getting directions and car thinking I was in a location about 8 miles away)
NB I do get longitude & latitude.

Does this mean I have no GPS connected? Surely it must have some to do what it does?
And what's my solution?

CatmanV2

Thinks to me that you've got a busted / disconnected GPS twig. It's entirely possible, asu suggested, that it's in 'tunnel' mode using dead reckoning and speed data to guess where you are.
You should get satellite visibility even if you're waiting on ephemeris, so if that's reading zero (unless you did 6 miles in a tunnel or some very serious urban canyoning) you're not going to make any significant progress.

Processed to the back of the NIT and check the GPS plug. Then if that looks good, probably buy a new one (it's only cheap) to plug in and at least see if you can get some sight.

C

safrane

First check its pluggedin at the rear of the NIT.

Second check its in the fight position under the dash top vent.

If thise check out it could be a wire brake so buy a new antenna with the right plug and stick it into the rear of the NIT. Its the green slot.

I think we are getting there.

It should then boot up straight away

Delmonte

First check its pluggedin at the rear of the NIT.

Second check its in the fight position under the dash top vent.

If thise check out it could be a wire brake so buy a new antenna with the right plug and stick it into the rear of the NIT. Its the green slot.

I think we are getting there.

It should then boot up straight away

Thanks everyone. Indeed does look like the GPS gubbins. I'll look forward to dismantling the NIT house to have a look, tomorrow, am at work just now. I'll report findings

spkennyuk

Right, now that I thought I knew how to 'set' the Nav, i gave it a test.... This didnt go well. It 'sort of' works, but is so poor I cant believe it was meant to be like this.
Firstly I set my location (my home address: there are three or four streets near me with the prefix 'Tinshill' and it only finds one of them, 'Garth', cant find Lane or Road which is odd as Garth is the most obscure (all have been there since at least the 1930's too...) I live on Lane, but I used Garth as its near and thought I can live with this. Set a destination about 4 miles away and get..... a route!! Yay! it shows me the full route on an actual map, and even better, when i set off it zooms to a close up of where I am. I set off in general direction of where I am going.
Unfortunately it goes rapidly downhill from there....
300 yards up the road, the zoomed in screen goes, and i get the full route line again on a map, with my cursor (me?) slightly off that. It tells me to turn right (onto an estate road which is a crescent and only spews me back onto the same road I started on). I then carry on, following my instinct towards my destination, and see the full route map. The system then seems to give up and gives me no directions at all for the next 4 or 5 junctions.... Eventually I come to a main road and it tells me to go right (which is the wrong way, but i take it anyway). I am then apparently on its route. After a while, I am in some countryside and it tells me to turn left (which would be through a fence into a field, no road for a long way....) then it gives up again (back to the route line on a map). I drive towards my destination trying to correct it myself, and every now an again get a direction onto a non existent road (with a few zoomed in approaching roundabouts thrown in for good measure: Worth noting these roundabouts do not exist.....)

I also change my destination for my home address, now I am about 4 miles away. This throws it completely, lots of wrong turns, and place names on the screen (zoomed in, apparently where I am now) that are completely wrong, several miles from where I am, and lots of non existent junctions complete with directions where to go from them!

So, its ****. Very ****. But I'm not giving up. Yet!

What I cant believe is that is has no or disconnected GPS, because it is clearly getting 'something'? And i have no messages telling me I dont have GPS or anything like that?

But I dont get much in the bottom left screen box; the one that in the manual says can show headphones/ sat dish/ phone/ signal bars. All i ever get in this is the sat dish, never any signal bars?
Interesting also that this screen is the same whether in radio, music, Nav, or whatever, it doesnt change, Stuart you mentioned it should be different maybe?

And something I really dont get: is there nothing I can do to just start my journey at 'my location'? Such as google maps style? Surely if its using GPS it can do this without me having to 'locate' my start?

The image of the satelite dish should go green once it has triangulated the cars position. Sounds like it is getting something bit maybe only picking up one satelite.

Its a couple of years ago that i did mine. I will have another look at mine as i seem to recall a hidden screen where you could check the sigals. I can probably talk you through settings and checks if im sat in my car if need be.

Sounds like you have a faulty GPS antenna from what you have described.

spkennyuk

If you look at the picture below its taken from one of the hidden screens / settings.

If your not getting a GPS signal the satelite dish image in the bottom left corner is grey. If it picks up the required signal from the satelites its either 2 or 3 it needs to find then it will turn green.

1441686662462jpg.0.jpg

The second picture i just grabbed off google images but shows you the satelite in green once it has a signal lock.

20180325_042014.jpg

Delmonte

Have a look at pages 1 to 3 on this thread

http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/sho...its-or-What-s-in-the-arm-rest-of-a-4200/page3

If your sat in the back of the car looking through the arm rest top once removed its the green socket on the top left / back of the NIT.

Clear picture of it in situ on page 1 and withe the NIT removed on page 3.

You will probably still have to loosen the center arm rest tunnel so you can feed the connector for the GPS under the side of the consol tunnel.

Thanks Stuart! I've taken out the centre console lid and tray and can see into the NIT. Its clear there is nothing connected to the grey socket (top right as you look at the back of the NIT, as per pic on p3 of that thread).
So it looks like GPS aerial has not been fitted...
I guess I need to get one of these and install in under the vent in the dash top, then route it through to this socket in the NIT..

EDIT: Just a thought... If I need a new DAB aerial of some sort, could I just connect it and leave at the back of the NIT, out of the way(if u can get them small enough) and not have to route through the car to the front? Or do these things like to be higher up, or near the screen?

Delmonte

Thanks Saf, is the GPS the grey socket (top right, back of NIT, as others have said) or is it the green (top left, back of NIT)?

spkennyuk

Thanks Saf, is the GPS the grey socket (top right, back of NIT, as others have said) or is it the green (top left, back of NIT)?

Its the grey one. Appologies i was going from memory. The green one is for the phone connection.

Gps antenna is around £6 on ebay. Just make sure you get the one with the square connector.

I think i bought a 3 meter one and just coiled the excess cable up behind the NIT.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-antenn...292869&hash=item3af4a110c2:g:~RoAAOSwrFtZ5ain

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-...667696&hash=item2398574eb4:g:KQ8AAOSw5ZtaaQpG

Either of those will do. The cheaper one doesnt show the cable length so worth checking first.

Delmonte

Its the grey one. Appologies i was going from memory. The green one is for the phone connection.

Gps antenna is around £6 on ebay. Just make sure you get the one with the square connector.

I think i bought a 3 meter one and just coiled the excess cable up behind the NIT.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-antenn...292869&hash=item3af4a110c2:g:~RoAAOSwrFtZ5ain

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-...667696&hash=item2398574eb4:g:KQ8AAOSw5ZtaaQpG

Either of those will do. The cheaper one doesnt show the cable length so worth checking first.

Bought the Panasonic one, just arrived and fitted. Plug fits perfectly, also the aerial sits nicely in the void between the plastic tray and the metal cage of the NIT, using the magnet.
Unfortunately.... No difference in operation. Still get '-' in no. of satellites and a grey satellite picture, and the Nav still thinks im in Todmorden when I'm in Leeds.... Nav off and on, and unit off and on a few times, and no difference.
Anything else I need to do to make this work?

CatmanV2

You might well need to wait quite a time. Like 15+ minutes, and up to 25 minutes (assuming worst case you just miss the start of the almanac transmission loop and need to start again.)
That's before you get a first fix if we assume this is a cold start (*and* assumes that the software is correctly working and up to date)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix

Patience may resolve it

C

Wanderer

I'm in Leeds Saturday with the QP, we could try the disc I have - it's a 2013 Blaupunkt DX one in mine - probs different to the 4200?

Delmonte

I'm in Leeds Saturday with the QP, we could try the disc I have - it's a 2013 Blaupunkt DX one in mine - probs different to the 4200?

Thanks loads mate, but I think I have breakthrough!

As Catman says, I had to wait. Drove it with Nav on for about half hour, no joy. Got back in car for return journey, and bingo, full Nav with 6 satellites, yay! It even talks to the Trip computer!

Thanks everyone for all help given.

CatmanV2

Thanks loads mate, but I think I have breakthrough!

As Catman says, I had to wait. Drove it with Nav on for about half hour, no joy. Got back in car for return journey, and bingo, full Nav with 6 satellites, yay! It even talks to the Trip computer!

Thanks everyone for all help given.

No worries :) When you think those satellites are transmitting with the power of something like a 60W light bulb it's ******* incredible the GPS can see them at all!

C

safrane

Very pleased to see this is resolved. However I wonder why it was lost/removed in the first place...maybe you had a replacement NIT?