The rubbery plastics 4200

Delmonte

Firstly, I know everyone is going to say do a search about the sticky buttons, and I have, ive read them all, and the YouTube clips, and none of them really give me a solution.

My buttons are actually ok, mostly, so it's not them really.

The bits that annoy me are the plastic centre NIT surround (contains the cd slot) and the centre ashtray cup holder surround bit. The air vents are ok, or have been replaced anyway.

I've looked into trying to buy the NIT trim piece but you can't buy it without buying an entire NIT system, which is very ********.

They aren't so much sticky as a bit bumpy in places and / or scratched. I actually made them worse by trying a dry micro fibre cloth on it ( thanks, YouTube) which scratched it more..

I suppose what I want is to get them re-rubberised to like new spec (is anyone doing that? Or had it done?)

Or remove the rubbery stuff completely, back to the plastic. If you do that, what's the best way to remove it? And what does it look like underneath? Acceptable finish?

CatmanV2

Lorenzo

Although pretty sure you can buy them separately, they are just stupid expensive

C

Delmonte

Check David Howson's thread on hydro dipping them.

His look great now.

Thanks, had a look at that. The quality of the work and finish look great, but I am just not sure about a carbon fibre effect finish on my 4200... I'm torn between thinking it looks great and it looks a bit Halfords....
Maybe I should go for woodgrain effect lol

davidhowson

Hi, the carbon fibre looks great in mine but then i started with the GS carbon wheel.
Take a look at the wicked coatings web site as they do a huge range including just black.

I tried spraying mine but it didn't look right as a hard black plastic finish.

-David-

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Delmonte

Lorenzo

Although pretty sure you can buy them separately, they are just stupid expensive

C

Tried Euro spares, they spent a week getting an answer from Italy and the answer was only with a whole NIT unit. That seemed pretty final, though I appreciate not completely. I suppose I could try a stealership but if its £1000s for a small piece of plastic trim I ain't doing it anyway

Delmonte

Hi, the carbon fibre looks great in mine but then i started with the GS carbon wheel.
Take a look at the wicked coatings web site as they do a huge range including just black.

I tried spraying mine but it didn’t look right as a hard black plastic finish.

-David-

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Yeah thanks I did look at the site, didn't fancy the skulls or the lime greens either! Or the wood effect. I suppose I would like the carbon effect more if my interior was black leather? Mines bordeaux (oxblood?) and I'm just not sure about it. Though I guess they could do a matt black without too much difficulty?
By the way, can they remove the rubbery finish or did you need to do it?

CatmanV2

Tried Euro spares, they spent a week getting an answer from Italy and the answer was only with a whole NIT unit. That seemed pretty final, though I appreciate not completely. I suppose I could try a stealership but if its £1000s for a small piece of plastic trim I ain't doing it anyway

That sucks. I recall they used to be £800

Someone on the US forum had some made, but that was ages ago :(

But anyway, sure Lorenzo can sort it out.

C