Question of the day

Zep

I think this is a trick question. Are you referring to the ex-LU trains on the Island Line on the Isle of Wight? I don't know the class or the name...

G

Guest 1678

I wonder if there is a steam train(s) that still counts as part of the fleet

zagatoes30

I think this is a trick question. Are you referring to the ex-LU trains on the Island Line on the Isle of Wight? I don't know the class or the name...

Correct, not sure about the trick question bit but yes there are, currently, 6 Class 483 Electrical Multiple Units running on the Isle of Wight. These trains were originally built in 1938 for the London Underground and the last saw service there in 1985. In 1988 these were refurbished and sent to the IOW where they remain.

Over to you

MarkMas

Chief pedant
What is the oldest class of train still in operational use today ? And for the top train spotters out there, where are they still in service and how many are there?

So you meant mainline UK trains, then? Presumably there are some older trains used in enthusiast-run UK railways, and maybe some older ones in India, Africa, etc. And you meant locomotive, not train....

Zep

Correct, not sure about the trick question bit but yes there are, currently, 6 Class 483 Electrical Multiple Units running on the Isle of Wight. These trains were originally built in 1938 for the London Underground and the last saw service there in 1985. In 1988 these were refurbished and sent to the IOW where they remain.

Over to you

Only because we were all thinking about locos and these are EMUs I'll get my thinking hat on.

Zep

Staying on trains, can anyone name the fastest diesel loco in the world. Bonus point for its maximum speed...

Merls

Does the new york central M-497 count, where they chucked two jet engines that "could be" run on diesel on the roof of a Budd railcar. 183mph. Wish i saw that!

zagatoes30

The Intercity 125 or HST as it used to be called is diesel. The 125 refers to it maximum operating speed but I think it has run up to 150mph or so

Zep

The Intercity 125 or HST as it used to be called is diesel. The 125 refers to it maximum operating speed but I think it has run up to 150mph or so

Yes - I was hoping the world bit would put people off. Yes it was the HST did 148 mph in 1987 and it has stood ever since. Over to you

zagatoes30

Bugger, OK let's see how this one goes

What links the following ?

Trafalgar Square
Pall Mall
Marylebone Station (added 22:40 11/10)
Mayfair (added 6:30 12/10)
Jail (added 6:30 12/10)

More will be added if no correct answers

JonW

Bugger, OK let's see how this one goes

What links the following ?

Trafalgar Square
Pall Mall
Marylebone Station (added 22:40 11/10)

More will be added if no correct answers

Places / properties than can be bought when playing Monopoly?

spkennyuk

Is the connection something to do with statues at each location. Trafalgar square has Nelsons column. Pall Mall has one as well i think. Not sure about Marlebone.

War related statues or statues by the same artist maybe ?

Im grasping a bit as you can tell. :)