4200 misfire

daglocks

I stupidly rinsed off some engine degreaser with water, and now I have a misfire!
It seems like one or two cylinders are not firing, car starts easily and ticks over at 1000rpm, but pulling away is lumpy and down on power. At cruise it is un-noticeable and mpg is 22.3 at a constant 60mph.
pressing the pedal at 60mph and engine is rough.
Any help please?.. I know, I am an idiot!

steve3200

I stupidly rinsed off some engine degreaser with water, and now I have a misfire!
It seems like one or two cylinders are not firing, car starts easily and ticks over at 1000rpm, but pulling away is lumpy and down on power. At cruise it is un-noticeable and mpg is 22.3 at a constant 60mph.
pressing the pedal at 60mph and engine is rough.
Any help please?.. I know, I am an idiot!

one or more coil packs probably have water in them

safrane

When the motor is warm but not too hot see if you can remove the coil packs and leave off for the warmth to dry out any damp in them.

Swedish Paul

Hook up a reader and it will tell you which cylinder. And the coils have the cylinder numbers taped to them. Then s simple job of swapping the coils to test. In case it’s a plug.

philw696

For blowing down the recess holes with a rag over the top to push and moisture up into the cloth.

daglocks

Thanks for all the advice. I purchased a £3.50 OBD11 reader and it said cylinder 2 misfire. I changed coil 2 with coil 1 and fault moved to no1. £43 coil pack from partsinmotion .co.uk and problem solved.

There were some cracks in the case of the coil and some corrosion on lamination earth hole.

I was thinking about a better iPhone app, I used "car scanner" wi-fi app but the free version is a bit rubbish. I would like to have a tablet mounted on the centre console to display MPG, temperatures etc. Have others done this? if so, which OBD app, and what tablet?

I'll start a new thread about this.

Strinsing99

Had same problem caused by a vigorous pressure wash of the grill area! Cured by drying out recess for plugs/coil pack where water had gathered. All good now.