How to change your QP IV 3.2 cambelt, with pictures!

alfatwo

And don't forget guys, the valve timing was probably out from the factory spec when it was first built..

You need the dial gauges to do the job properly, you can't rely on paint marks when replacing the belt!

Dave

Wally

Also please note that the flanges of the bearing-rings have the right position, they "guide" the timing belt. And carefully check the play of the bushing/bearings
around which the tensioner-arm pivots.

rs48635

Halfway through reading this I felt quite confident to crack on with this job. After reading to the end, I am more cautious. I would happily swap the belt using the magician's assistant method. Less happy about the static timing setup as the timing would need to be cock on.
Is it really true that cars left the factory de-tuned deliberately by altered timing?

BTW can the cambelt be clamped in place with vice grips / cable ties / wedges to allow the tensor too be removed? Used this method on 911 engine, to replace failing (oil fed) tensioners which leaving duplex cam chains in place. My mechanic thinks I am a lunatic, but it seemed entirely logical to me.

CatmanV2

Is it really true that cars left the factory de-tuned deliberately by altered timing?

Well there are plenty of stories of timings be well out, but if you wanted to reduce the power of a production engine why in the name of god would you do it like that?

C

alfatwo

Well there are plenty of stories of timings be well out, but if you wanted to reduce the power of a production engine why in the name of god would you do it like that?

C

Because its easily done on assembly.. don't forget at the time this was all very low volume stuff assembled be hand

We all know the story about the 360 Modena being less powerful than the average 3200GT on low boost

Luckily for Ferrari the old Maserati 3200 bi turbo motor wouldn't pass the Euro 4 emission's, hence the Mk2 4200 with the Fiat/Ferrari engined derivative

Dave

CatmanV2

Because its easily done on assembly.. don't forget at the time this was all very low volume stuff assembled be hand

But is going to be noticed the first time someone does a timing belt change. OK so that's a fair old while but surely you'd change the technical data *as well*

C

Tamariini

And don't forget guys, the valve timing was probably out from the factory spec when it was first built..

You need the dial gauges to do the job properly, you can't rely on paint marks when replacing the belt!

Dave

This was the case on my 3200 GTA also. valve timing was quite a bit off on both cylinder banks, on the left not so much than on the right bank. I adjusted timing to factory specs and at least idle is a bit smoother, now i only have to wait until there is no snow left to see if there is some power gain!

Timing was (@TDC)
Left bank: Exhaust open 0,45mm, intake 0,53mm
right bank: Exh. open 0,35mm, int. 0,49mm

alfatwo

This was the case on my 3200 GTA also. valve timing was quite a bit off on both cylinder banks, on the left not so much than on the right bank. I adjusted timing to factory specs and at least idle is a bit smoother, now i only have to wait until there is no snow left to see if there is some power gain!

Timing was (@TDC)
Left bank: Exhaust open 0,45mm, intake 0,53mm
right bank: Exh. open 0,35mm, int. 0,49mm

You'll defiantly notice the difference, It could be as much 35hp!

Dave

Tamariini

First day on the road today :auto182:

Hard to say about power gain since temperatures are quite low still and tyres are slipping badly! But engine runs with much smoother sound on higher revs than before so there definitely is some change =)

neger

Hello, after the timimg belt change I realized that the writing on the belt is upside down, as I heard it should be readable from left to right, if I stand front of the car. Is it an issue should I turn it or, is it symmetrical? Thanks58101

Tamariini

Any arrows marked on the belt? If rotation direction matters it is clearly marked by arrows. If there isn't, i think it should not be an issue.

neger

Any arrows marked on the belt? If rotation direction matters it is clearly marked by arrows. If there isn't, i think it should not be an issue.
No arrows, i did a search and it came out, rotation doesnt matter.
Thats from dayco:
I spoke with Dayco's technical rep (a friendly guy called Andy), who confirmed that the arrows were only there to locate any timing marks on the belt - the actual running direction doesn't matter. This is backed up by Dayco's useful 'failure mode' table, which lists causes of failure by symptoms, but makes no mention of incorrect direction.
Quite a relief, and useful information for the future!