Rear Parcel Shelf removal

conaero

Forum Owner
Thanks to David Howson for this very informative thread, believe it or not, this is the procedure to remove dead flies form you High Level Brake Light that you can see from outside the car:

1. Pull down rear arm rest, put your fingers in the hinge pins and wiggle it out
back1.JPG

2. Pull the leather cover firmly from the top to release a single clip that holds it in place. These ususally break so best to order some, they are £2 each.
back2.JPG

3. This reveals the four 15mm bolts which take some moving (the bottom two are just out of frame)!
Once the four bolts are out, simply pull forward on the seat back and it will come out.
back4.JPG

4. Undo the four (two each side) 10mm bolts just in front of the rear speaker.
back5.JPG

5. Remove the speaker wires from each side and the rear park assist which is located next to the passengers side speaker, see in the pic above.
back6.JPG

6.Pull the boot lining at the top away by popping out the four plastic clips to find 3 screws. One in the centre and one each side of the high level brake light.
back7.JPG

7. Carefully remove the rear shelf by pulling forward, be warned not to pull too far as you need to reach under the shelf and disconnect the high level brake light wires and not to pull the sound proofing material away.
back8.JPG

8. If you want to get into the high level unit to replace a bulb, you will need to unscrew the four screws for the underside of the shelf
back9.JPG

9. Clean out flies etc and simply refit in reverse order as they say!

While I was in there, here is a picture of the F1 relay:
f1relay.JPG

And the fuel cover release:
fuelrelease.JPG

lozcb

Nice one Miles , i really must become a fully fledged member of the dead fly society

regards loz

Emtee

Hi Loz, I used this how-to to remove mine, but I can't take any credit for it. The work is David's and Matt's for originally posting.

Elliott653

Is that red cord the fuel flap manual release one? I get intermittent problems with the flap sticking. Even after generous helpings of WD40. And, although it gives me an excuse to ask attractive women to 'push my button', sometimes no one is around.

Emtee

Is that red cord the fuel flap manual release one? I get intermittent problems with the flap sticking. Even after generous helpings of WD40. And, although it gives me an excuse to ask attractive women to 'push my button', sometimes no one is around.

Hi Elliot, Yes it's the manual release cord.

Massa in Perth

Thanks for this guide, pictures speak a thousand words don't they? Couple of things: If like me you are replacing your parcel shelf speakers, 5 1/4 inch speakers are getting hard to find. I found that out AFTER my back seat and parcel shelf were lying on the floor in my garage, and I had visited several car audio shops. Eventually, I found Pioneer 6 inchers fit perfectly, no drilling etc. No doubt lots of others do too.

Second, there are two leads that terminate in the yellow speaker plug, one for each side. On my car, the passenger side lead (RHD) also feeds the central brake light, the boot light, and... has a small plug marked "8 amps" that seems to join to nothing. Any idea what it is for?

Cheers, Toby

w1lde1

Gents, can you tell me does the parcel shelf have to be removed once you get behind the rear seat or will the speaker pop out without removing

Skid1769

Just tried this procedure on my 3200GTA, it is different, as soon as I pulled off the leather behind the arm rest I knew things were not going to go well, the panel was secured using zip ties, then once I removed that there were no bolts, just another piece of material, so I can only assume things are different on the later models??
Cheers

Stuart

Taliesyn

This is an extremely useful thread. I have used it to access the fuel cap cover release solenoid. Sadly still more to remove, the plastic quarter light trim need to be removed to get to the bolt holding it in place. I'd say this is one of those jobs that takes an hour or so stripping out for a 10 minute job and then an hour or so putting back.
While it's out I too will remove the dead flies from the brake light...Hopefully wont forget!