Home amp

VMSRTI

I feel for you Nikos. It's not easy picking HiFi gear.
I did have Nad back in the 80's as well as Luxman from that era that I still own.
I have recently obtained a pair of sonus faber Liuto's and too scared to start "investigating what other gear I should buy to match them........

Mr.Cambio

Just a small update. I got a yamaha rx 797 in used but top condition.
I realised that my 700 euro budget was low for a good 100w amp. Saw that the good (nad, marantz, audiolab etc) 100w amps are 1500 plus. So i will finish my equipment for now, and give as much time as it needs to make the right decision for me. In the meantime i got something reliable and cheap, so in the case i want to sell it, loss will be limited or zero.
Waiting for it to arrive next week, so i'll give you my impressions when connecting it to the monitor audios.
Thanks for the tips so far gents.

Emtee

Yea Gods, what sort of forum is this?! Someone brings up the subject of speakers and not one comment about placement and first reflections. Who gives a **** about the amp, surely you know it's all in the interconnects!?...

I'll get me coat...

CatmanV2

Yea Gods, what sort of forum is this?! Someone brings up the subject of speakers and not one comment about placement and first reflections. Who gives a **** about the amp, surely you know it's all in the interconnects!?...

I'll get me coat...��

We weren't feeling well......

C

Ebenezer

Yes I still have that special marker pen somewhere to remind me to be a bit more circumspect! (I did one CD with it and then realised I was being a ****). Then there was this special grooved thing that you could put on top on your speaker that I saw an a Hi FI show once. Said to improve the high frequency fidelity. It's amazing what people have dreamed up
Uni directional cabling - what's all that about?
Eb

Ebenezer

Never saw the rubber rings! **** missed that one. Also seriously thought about a separate mains spur when we were having wiring redone and also building brick pillars from the ground underneath the sitting room, through the floor boards to provide a solid base for the spiked speakers to sit on. Needless to say sense prevailed in the end. Have fantasised about room correction both physical and electronic as well..

However I've realized that once your hifi is good enough, it's the quality of the recording that makes the difference. So much of the stuff I like listening to just wasn't recorded with the clarity and punch that you get on modern recordings.

Eb

CatmanV2

Never saw the rubber rings! **** missed that one. Also seriously thought about a separate mains spur when we were having wiring redone and also building brick pillars from the ground underneath the sitting room, through the floor boards to provide a solid base for the spiked speakers to sit on. Needless to say sense prevailed in the end. Have fantasised about room correction both physical and electronic as well..

However I've realized that once your hifi is good enough, it's the quality of the recording that makes the difference. So much of the stuff I like listening to just wasn't recorded with the clarity and punch that you get on modern recordings.

Eb

This is it spot on. I find myself playing albums because the recording is better.....

C

Mr.Cambio

small update.. I got a denon cd player and found ahuge difference in sound quality. SO, i decided to sell the bronzes now, as they are still under warranty and get a more serious speaker set.
Well i stayed in the level one of audio-ing very little time, now it´s time to get things a little more serious.