just driving along ! then no gears on my 4200 spyder

paul edwards

it all started on a sunny bank holiday,could not wait to get the roof down and go for a drive,i was thnking how great it was then all of a sudden no gears [this is a 6 speed manuel car]with 28000 miles only.any one know what has happened??

jluis

Manual or CC?
I think those cars suffer from colapsed clutch fingers that causes the disc to not fully engage the engine flywheel

If that is the case, a new clutch kit is required.

CatmanV2

Well he said manual.....

Paul no gear at all? Can you shift the lever?

How does the clutch pedal feel?

C

CatmanV2

Maybe, but I'd *expect* that to be only 1 pair of gears. Can you move the lever? How does the pedal feel?

C

CatmanV2

Ahh

So that sounds like something has indeed gone bang or snap in the selector mechanism. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the specific setup to make an educated guess, but if I have a chance, I'll poke around on the Eurospares site later.

C

marios kriticos

SPONSOR: Autosheild
It's a cable system and I am afraid to say that the cables have not been available for two years , I hope it's not your cables .
Marios

jluis

It's a cable system and I am afraid to say that the cables have not been available for two years , I hope it's not your cables .
Marios

Maserati already stopped suplying parts for this car?
What is the solution in case it's the cables?

Spartacus

yes get a beldon cable company to re make to a pattern . I think we use a cable company at work . ill ask who they are.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
It might be worth asking them to retain the specs of any new cables they make, as I have a feeling that they may be needed in the future.

jluis

Aren't car manufacturers required by law to supply parts for 10 years after the car is no longer manufactured?
In 2005 there were still manual 4200 being made.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
It's all part of Maseratis grand plan. They have drawn a line in the sand with the GT (at present) but anything before that doesn't matter and they will support us less and less until we disappear. It seems to be a concerted attack on the older cars as more and more parts become unobtainable. IIRC, Beaus 3200 is off the road for want of a rear window trim, wishbone prices have tripled over the last couple of years, 3200 clutches are no longer made and now gear-linkage cables. I think the attitude of the factory sucks and they should be f*cking ashamed of themselves, the only people who matter these days seems to be rich Chinese and Russians. Wankers.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Drifting off topic, but how does Ferrari compare from the perspective of getting parts for cars over around 10 years old?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I would guess there is no problem as rising values reflect well on the company. Also, old Ferraris are very valuable and the people that own them are more likely to give Ferrari problems should they start getting f*cked around. Just a thought.

paul edwards

I think you've go way off the problem,anyway I don't think its clutch related I think its a linkage from the gear lever that has become disconnected .anyone had a similar promlem ??

nfm

Haven't heard of this before but it would seem the thing to do is do a trace back, lever to gearbox. If you are not handy yourself a Maserati indi is the way to go, there is a list on the forum.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Guys if I can be of some assistance over here in the U.S. let me know. They might not manufacturer them anymore but surely we could get a used set for now whether it be cables or linkages. Speaking of Ferrari has anyone looked into if they are the same on the 3 pedal F cars like the F360?