Question of the day

MrPea

Would that make the person who reworked the symphonies George Frideric (love) Handel? :)
Completely wrong, you two, but between you I want to give you the points for just cracking me up while waiting for a coffee at a service station on the m6.

So, composer in question is renowned for writing for big hands, and he did the reworking of Beethoven's symphonies for either two or one instrument.

spkennyuk

Completely wrong, you two, but between you I want to give you the points for just cracking me up while waiting for a coffee at a service station on the m6.

So, composer in question is renowned for writing for big hands, and he did the reworking of Beethoven's symphonies for either two or one instrument.

Serious guess was it for piano / pianos.

Not serious guess was it the chap who wrote the water music and these works were his Love HANDles.

Sorry reworking of a previous posters joke. Note to self must read all posts :)

Dont Spill your coffee :)

spkennyuk

You can tell i have have no idea on this but did he have big hands or a small piano ! Which has to be better than having a very small pianis(t) or organ :)

i'll get my coat :)

MrPea

Serious guess was it for piano / pianos.

Not serious guess was it the chap who wrote the water music and these works were his Love HANDles.

Sorry reworking of a previous posters joke. Note to self must read all posts :)

Dont Spill your coffee :)
Yes to piano, or pianos. They were transcribed for either solo or two pianos. Quite incredible music, I must say.

spkennyuk

I've got nothing else Mr Pea. my classical music knowlede is limited to say the least. Anybody else have any idea ?

MrPea

I've got nothing else Mr Pea. my classical music knowlede is limited to say the least. Anybody else have any idea ?
Sorry for the fail on my first question here!

Thumper gets the points for making me laugh so much yesterday, which certainly helped break 3 hours of motorway monotony.

Composer was Liszt, and he transcribed it all for solo pianos, and two pianos. It's stunning how effective the transcriptions are so I highly recommend finding a recording if you think you may like that sort of thing.

I hand over to the Thumper for the next question.

Thumperuk

Sorry about that :laughing:

In which year and to whom was the world's first speeding ticket issued and what dizzying speed were they accused of doing?

Thumperuk

You've established that he was from the days of flagmen, this gent was reportedly doing four times the legal speed limit in urban Kent.

Thumperuk

As this question has ran over I'll give you part of the answer. The man in question was Walter Arnold and he was doing 8 miles an hour. Does anyone know the year?

spkennyuk

Somewhere between 1900 and 1906 at a guess. I think the speed limit was raised to 20mph around 1906 IIRC.

spkennyuk

Quick easy one for at least some of the forum members who will live in the right area of the country.

Traditional Cornish pasties have the thick hand crimped ridge on the top. What was the original purpose of the ridge ?