3200/4200 Brake Discs a possible solution...

Floon

James (maseratiV8), sorry I missed the most important person out in my thanks!

Conaero, thanks for the warning about the apec pads. Ive ordered the Mintex. I would have ordered the greengrippers but as I ws getting the discs through BrakesInt it ws easiest to just do one order!

Floon

conaero

Forum Owner
No problem Floon. There are only 2 pads I would avoid like the plague and that is APEC and EBC reds. The reds are horrendous you never get enough heat into them for the to work. In everyday applications you brake hard from cold and they just do not stop the car at all.

Emtee

They must have gone home early!!

P

Yes, Gary does have the knack of being both blessed of THE sunniest disposition known to man and possibly THE most illusive character I've come across.

Heyhoo, persevere, persevere, persevere..... :)

Parisien

Ok guys, spoke to Roy of BBrakes, at the moment its a non-runner for the Brembo discs, can't source them at a good price or the guys they mostly deal with won't supply them, sorry.

I also asked about relining of clutch plates, which they also do and he said no problem, cost quite low, can also test the pressure plate and if required try to source release bearing and skim flywheel if required....thoughts........guys?

P

lozcb

Ok guys, spoke to Roy of BBrakes, at the moment its a non-runner for the Brembo discs, can't source them at a good price or the guys they mostly deal with won't supply them, sorry.

I also asked about relining of clutch plates, which they also do and he said no problem, cost quite low, can also test the pressure plate and if required try to source release bearing and skim flywheel if required....thoughts........guys?

P

Definately get them to price re-lining the clutch plate Frank , remember to tell him there are two plates to be re-ligned its a double tang plate , if you want i can send you pics

regards loz

Parisien

No probs, do send the pics, plus relining and checking springs etc said only £20-40, are they made of any special material or race/rally standard Loz? No probs re twin double tang plate. He remembers doing a Ferrari clutch once which actually turned out to have a Ford Cortina clutch plate in it!!!!!

P

lozcb

Will do Frank , i'll do it this evening , ask about turn around Frank , it will be possible to supply him a clutch so he can have one permanently in stock , release bearing would be a good avenue to go down aswell , there presently in the £250-300 mark so if we could shave a decent chunk off of that that would be brill , but i havent got a spare one of those .............................anybody got one going for research and a good cause

regards loz

Parisien

Excellent Loz......plus if you've any other info on the clutch of any kind, am sure it all helps! Release bearing no?

Pressure plate can be tested Loz.....or do you always renew it, and flywheel etc?

P

lozcb

Excellent Loz......plus if you've any other info on the clutch of any kind, am sure it all helps! Release bearing no?

Pressure plate can be tested Loz.....or do you always renew it, and flywheel etc?

P

Ive been told that the flywheels/pressure plate cant be re faced on these cars how true/untrue im not sure , something about it being slightly concaved or convexed , but they aren't that dear for what they are , around £170 when i bought mine so not the end of the earth

Price on complete refurb and test would be good , apparently the PP fingers(springs) are prone to breaking so wise to have them tested /checked in actual fact thats why matts clutch went when he first got the gransport

Maserati 4200 Gransport (2005) - COMPLETE THRUST BEARING WITH SEALS (VALID FOR F1 ONLY)
Part No. 234953
Also available used (click for details)

Will This Fit My Car? (Click To Find out)
NEW
To Order
£276.83
Approx €338

regards loz

regards loz

Last edited:

lozcb

Its something you never know Frank until its stripped down , they get burnt marks on them and scores but good to know there's an option , but i was told they cant be skimmed ,

regards loz

Parisien

Its something you never know Frank until its stripped down , they get burnt marks on them and scores but good to know there's an option , but i was told they cant be skimmed ,

regards loz

It might be the concave aspect Loz.....same on all cars or just ours?

P

deano

hi,not haveing a manuel car,but coming from the automotive side,in R&D I would find it hard to believe the flywheels are designed to be concave,unless the friction plate is convex to compensate for it,as surely they would want the largest contact surface area possible to elliminate the possability of slip,i do know that the aston martin vanquish and the zagato bodied DB7 with flappy paddle has a flat flywheel,and thi is the magnetti marelli type system.

Emtee

Thought it only right that I should post and thank James.

Through his research and diligence there is now £570.00 in my bank account that wouldn't otherwise have been there.

I can't think of a clearer demonstration of the value of shared knowledge..... and to James in particular.....I'm indebted.

Em.

Parisien

Happy to add to that Miles....didn't we save a lot more....!!!???

Like.......£1000..............................including the greengrippers too....:)

P

Emtee

edited due to incorrect calculations. Correct calculations posted subsequently.

Last edited:

ENZ525

Though I was thinking of just James' efforts on the disks, yes you're right P.......

Saving on OEM discs thanks to James - £570.00 approx.
Saving on OEM pads if using Belfast - £719.00 approx.

No these aren't typo's........ that is a saving of £1,289.00!!!

:clapps: :clapps: :clapps: :clapps: