2005 4200GT - How low should I go?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Dave, Marios at Autoshield recommends GS springs and a 10mm lowering. I will, hopefully, be doing this in the summer and I will post how it turns out. Should be exactly tHe same as a GS. Apparently, lowering the standard 4200 springs makes the ride too harsh and for a spyder would make the scuttle shake even worse than it already is.

nfm

BennyD

Are the springs definitely different? For some reason I thought the suspension in the 2005 GT (facelift) model was exactly the same as the GS, with the only difference being wheels/ride height?

Interested to know as I might consider dropping 10/15 mm at some stage, when the tracking is next due for a reset.

Cheers

Hedgetrimmer

I too would be interested in switching to the GS springs. Marius mentioned that he had some in stock and the price was very reasonable. However, I was under the impression that the springs were the same as the standard GT from 2004 onwards, just set slightly lower.

Emtee

Comparing the 4200 (MY'04) spring part numbers with those of the Gransport, they're the same. The shock absorbers do show different part numbers though, both front and back.

DaveT

Fingers crossed.

Do want to seehow it looks soon so I can continue my lowering and spacing deliberations.

Cheers

Hedgetrimmer

The eurospares website suggests that the springs, dampers and arb are the same between the GS and GT from 2004 onwards. I have assumed that the"sport" dampers is the skyhook set up as per all uk cars.

If I am not mistaken (which is highly likely) then is it possible to emulate the GS set up by simply lowering the car 10mm to the same ride height as the GS and setting the geometry accordingly? Does this mean that the stiffness of the GS is generate by loading the spring more?

Carl

Emtee

The eurospares website suggests that the springs, dampers and arb are the same between the GS and GT from 2004 onwards. I have assumed that the"sport" dampers is the skyhook set up as per all uk cars.

If I am not mistaken (which is highly likely) then is it possible to emulate the GS set up by simply lowering the car 10mm to the same ride height as the GS and setting the geometry accordingly? Does this mean that the stiffness of the GS is generate by loading the spring more?

Carl

I must admit I was always of the impression that the GS had a stiffer ARB than the later incarnations of the 4200, but you're right Carl, the PN's are the same from the first MY'03 revision onwards through to the GS, so if "Version Sport" does refer to the skyhook setup, then I would agree that lowering and geometry should give the same as on the GS.

Also just realised that Eurospares don't appear to list the GS Spyder?

Hedgetrimmer

Having now done a bit more research I am pretty certain that the dampers, arb and springs are the same on the GT and GS for UK spec Skyhook cars. Lowering a GT may stiffen the car up a little, however I suspect the only difference between the GT and GS is the programming of the skyhook suspension.

Has anyone worked out a way of reprogramming the skyhook system to make the dampers stiffer?

Is the damper controlled by the ECU or a seperate computer?

I don't really want to lower my car to find that it makes little difference to handling therefore I am keen to find out whether the damper can be made to increase its stiffness to levels similar to the GS

DaveT

Getting 10mm lowering and 15mm spacers all round.

Going in to Shiltech later this week.

Hopefully will reduce the seasickness on cornering.

Parisien

Dave...you see....you plainly aint aggressive enough going into those sharp bends.............;).....;)

P

DaveT

Yes Frank.

Don't think Geoff at Shiltech has a cure for lack of talent when driving!

DaveT

Andy

Got a few offers but not quite what I wanted and then decided I can't justify the extra 10/15k for a decent late-ish GS.

So now doing a bit to try and sharpen up handling on my car.
It's only done 34k so will now hold on for a year/18 months then maybe look at a Granturismo.

Cheers

Dave

Andyk

Good call......Miles 4200 looks brilliant now he's lowered it and fettled it...