Beware of fitting new F1 Pump Relay

urbanmaser

Shortly after my last service at HR Owen in March when I asked them to replace the F1 Pump Relay I started to get intermitent flashes of the CC warning light and interuption to the speed of the gear changes. This would last but for a few minutes and could often be corrected by turning off the engine and restarting. Naturally I was concerned fearing the worse that the pump was on the blink. I returned the car to HR Owen who could not find the fault on their diagnostics. By process of elimination they put back the old relay which I had kept and it transpired that the fault was with the new relay. The original make of relay is aparently no longer available and they now only stock relays from a Lancia. Whether it was because it was a relay from a Lancia or whether it was just because it was a new dodgy relay I don't know but my advice is if you can't find the original relay then keep with one from an Alfa Romeo selespeed.

Parisien

An issue about the relay capacity was mentioned before...ie upgraded one for use with newer pump, might not work well with older design pump.....

P

urbanmaser

An issue about the relay capacity was mentioned before...ie upgraded one for use with newer pump, might not work well with older design pump.....

P

You would think Maserati would know which relay should be fitted to which car. That dodgy relay could have ended up damaging the pump.

Parisien

....I know...there was a thread on ML about it...still a lot of confusion.........4/5 pin.....30 versus 50 amp........etc....not fair!

P

maserati300

yes - can someone pls nail this, as everything i've read seems to add more confusion than clarity and if even dealers are getting it wrong - god help us!

Parisien

..........should imagine its best just to put back the same relay you took out........................simples.......ie, that if pump changed for newer version ( when was it up-dated?)........part no?.......match newer relay to newer pump....maybe ask via Eurospares?

P

Parisien

...not sure of name or number on it ( both could be different)...if you've got a handbook its on a diagram for that area in boot above battery.

P

lozcb

My usual exchange relay is the Alfa one , fitted around 5 now over the years and never had a problem , bought from an official Alfa dealer part no 11130287 its black and has 4 pins

regards loz

2b1ask1

Special case
Cheers Frank,

Mine still has a grey one in and I have every reason to believe it is orrigional so maybe I should invest in a replacement; stitch in time and all that!

Parisien

Newton, may have been changed at some stage, is there a date stamp on these? Do ask though before changing one...still debate on same!

P

ZAM400209

Can we get some parts pictures of this posted, please. That may help some people...?

Totally unrelated- but I paid full whack to swap out my climate panel about 9 years ago (£700+) as the old one no longer adjusted temperature but the "new" one which replaced it was crackers! It wouldn't even turn off! The garage told me that's how they were and the operation was normal! I'd had them retrieve the original one from the workshop bin at the time of replacement and made them swap the internal PROM chips which were socketed. Problem fixed!

Not all newer stuff is a s good as the original stuff!

Parisien

There are parts pics on the thread.......plus am sure others have been posted up here too

P

urbanmaser

Once in a blue moon I still get the CC light coming on in heavy traffic. I have to restart the car to get rid of it. This is despite changing the relay

Parisien

I have gotten a blinking "gearbox" icon 2/3 times...usually when engaging reverse..........only last 2/3 secs.....then goes away...over last 3 mths.......will be at Autoshield this week...so they can check it again

P

Emtee

Once in a blue moon I still get the CC light coming on in heavy traffic. I have to restart the car to get rid of it. This is despite changing the relay

Same here Urby, but mine clears by selecting neutral for a moment or two. Not sure this is relay related or just the throttle ECU letting you know it's riding the clutch.