4200 gt, Which battery

catto

Hi
Just bought a 4200 gt just over a week ago, thought the battery seemed a bit suspect when i first got the car, but have been away almost a week and the car has failed to start, turned a few times but not enough power in battery,
i am currently away from home so will order a battery for getting home.
just wondered which model battery to go for and any recomendations which one to buy and where to buy it from.
Thanks Bobby.

2b1ask1

Special case
Hi Bobby and welcomr to the finest Maserati forum around; Has your motor ever has a Navtrak Tracker fitted? There may well be info in the doc's pouch. If so this is notorious for draining the battery. Likewise if the car has been sat a while it may have been allowed to go flat and modern batteries cannot cope with deep cycle discharges and never properly recover.

New battery time (about £130 from a motor factors) and take out the tracker so it cannot drain or if you still have it on contract get them out to replace the secondary battery.

catto

thanks for replies, not sure if i have the navtrak fitted, will have a look when im home,
yeah im sure its the battery its a halfords one thats in just now not sure how old it is.
the only one i came across to order online was this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASERATI-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfa4952e7

is this one suitable or can anyone else point me in direction to a link to order one as im not at home for over a week i cant check the post layout, size etc, if that one is suitable i will order now so its there for when i get home, on a lot of websited they dont seem to list the 4200 gt for batteries but list the 3200 gt and spyder, are the batteries the same?

so far from what i have driven the car i really like it and hopefully wont have too much problems in future with the car

Emtee

Hi Catto. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car!

The original battery was a Fiamm, so it sounds like yours has already been replaced. Did you get any paperwork / history when you purchased the car, as this may direct you to the age of the replacement battery, and its likely condition.

Emtee

Oh and Newton's post is relevant. The Navtrak is notorious for draining the battery. It will certainly be installed, and if you've not activated the cover, which would cost you an annual subscription, then it's in there dormant and perhaps merrily draining your main battery. What year if your 4200?

Maser Sod

The battery performance can be **** with or without the tracker issue. I've had about 4 or 5 different batteries in my Masers, the current one is by far and away the best - though I can't remember what it is!

If someone really needs to know, I will pop out later and have a look.

catto

its a 2002 52 plate, never got any paperwork for the battery. seems the battery is on its way out, so will change it, just wondered if that one i sent link to is suitable, heres a pic of the car, got a good deal on it so bought it even though i dont know much about them, was a random purchase.

catto

this is the 4200 i just bought,

Attachments

• 394148_320824337941070_100000405207071_1082142_1073964237_n.jpg
    394148_320824337941070_100000405207071_1082142_1073964237_n.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21

Parisien

thanks for replies, not sure if i have the navtrak fitted, will have a look when im home,
yeah im sure its the battery its a halfords one thats in just now not sure how old it is.
the only one i came across to order online was this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASERATI-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfa4952e7

is this one suitable or can anyone else point me in direction to a link to order one as im not at home for over a week i cant check the post layout, size etc, if that one is suitable i will order now so its there for when i get home, on a lot of websited they dont seem to list the 4200 gt for batteries but list the 3200 gt and spyder, are the batteries the same?

so far from what i have driven the car i really like it and hopefully wont have too much problems in future with the car

Seems ok, good price, size is correct, (do measure and verify)......very awkward to get in, posts on correct side, maybe get one with a slightly higher amp output, think that is the same as standard,

P

Parisien

Lovin' it......many happy and safe miles!

So you didn't get the sacred indie inspection done to highlight any deficiencies?

Random buy?!............you've got bigger B*A*L*L*S than I have....!!!!

;)

P

catto

no never had an inspection or anything done, aty the money i picked the car up i allowed for getting a few jobs done if required, the car has been well maintained by a retired owner, its the manual version aswell which i personally prefer.

Parisien

Well, if you got a sheaf of invoices and she drives as well as she looks, not too many owners (?)then a good buy.

P

catto

had 3 owners so not too bad, i looked at the car in 2009 when the previous owner was selling, he had had the car since 2006, so both older owners from 2006 and been well maintained. / looked after.
car drives perfect had no issues when driving it so far.

Emtee

Catto, that's the battery I have in my 4200 and it runs without issue, though it's a tight fit and you will need to be careful not to damage the relay boards above. Yes it's higher Ah and CCA than the original Fiamm.

catto

thanks for that will get it ordered now to make sure i have it for when i get home this time next week.

Parisien

Good price and free delivery.......just what does the 5 yr guarantee actually mean though......not sure many of us have a 5 yr old battery in our Masers?!

Buy Bosch, free batteries for the duration in effect?

P

Last edited: