ECU re-programming?

Cossington

Has anyone had their ECU re-programmed to optimise either performance or (dare I say it..) fuel consumption, or both?

I notice on some other car forums performance and economy seem to be enhanced. Is this feasible with 4200's? Has anyone tried it? What results have you obtained and would you recommend it?

Thanks,

David

philw696

Had mine done by DMS in Southampton just under 460 horse with 380 at tghe wheels did not do anything for better fuel consumption for me though.
Phil.

Mr.Cambio

Not sure about Dms tuning for the 4200, but Dan's GTS was not that faster...

I would try FD's ECU...We need a review as well!

Parisien

I didn't get this done after some rational discussion with a well know indie...who inquired...."Just what percentage do you drive this car of yours to Parisien......80%...90% perhaps?"

When I stumbled with an answer he suggested about 60%.....on occasions.......

P

Emtee

I didn't get this done after some rational discussion with a well know indie...who inquired...."Just what percentage do you drive this car of yours to Parisien......80%...90% perhaps?"

When I stumbled with an answer he suggested about 60%.....on occasions.......

P

No you're right P. Apart from maybe Benny (who we all know and love as the Sports Maserati hooligan :D) both DMS and FD are just bragging rights down the pub, and none too cheep either.....

Still, doesn't stop us does it?! :D

Parisien

Whatever floats peoples boats Miles.....if you are a 80/90 percenter why not...or like a good track day then why not again!

P

Mr.Cambio

Guys..i totally agree with P. Objection:You have not seen me driving my Mas, and your BIG mouth tell things about Benny beeing THE hooligan here...The answer is Nooooooooooooooooooooo wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

So, think again!!! :)

Now to the point.. I recently bought a Suzuki GSXR, for the people who don't know, is like getting a race car with about 600-700 bhp. What i realise is that any time of ownership you need a bit more power....Not because you don't have the power to overtake, for example, but feeling the acceletarion on your body is something very special.We all know that.

SO, i can understand why people look for more hp in a hp-ton-equipped car. Won't do this on the 4200, but i can see the point.

lozcb

From memory the idea of having the DMS was to optimize horsepower and the delivery/ in complete contrast and opposite to economy , pretty sure that if fuel consumption had of been or prime concern then an individual car could have been mapped accordingly and improvements made , i may well get back in contact with DMS and beg the question , but most owners i know dont give a fig regarding economy

, well coupe owners , these are luxury sports cars if someone wants economy get a friggggin diesel , saying that i do like the idea of paying just 20p a litre for lpg

regards loz

Cossington

Thanks for the replies, chaps. It is a topic seem to come across quite a bit elsewhere, but I hadn't spotted it in relation to Maseratis.
Miles - that 53 page thread will keep me busy for a while, thankyou!
Loz, I knew economy was a dangerous topic to even mention!

David

lozcb

Thanks for the replies, chaps. It is a topic seem to come across quite a bit elsewhere, but I hadn't spotted it in relation to Maseratis.
Miles - that 53 page thread will keep me busy for a while, thankyou!
Loz, I knew economy was a dangerous topic to even mention!

David

Sorry to sound off David , hehe but you get my drift, all meant tounge in cheek , enjoy reading book 53

regards loz

Emtee

Guys..i totally agree with P. Objection:You have not seen me driving my Mas, and your BIG mouth tell things about Benny beeing THE hooligan here...The answer is Nooooooooooooooooooooo wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

So, think again!!! :)

Now to the point.. I recently bought a Suzuki GSXR, for the people who don't know, is like getting a race car with about 600-700 bhp. What i realise is that any time of ownership you need a bit more power....Not because you don't have the power to overtake, for example, but feeling the acceletarion on your body is something very special.We all know that.

SO, i can understand why people look for more hp in a hp-ton-equipped car. Won't do this on the 4200, but i can see the point.

Wow! That was a reply Nikos!

Given it was me that mentioned Benny I'll assume it was directed at me, though I can't see anything contentious in my post that would prompt the capitalised response?

You'll know I've been down the 'modding' route with my previous 4200, so have enjoyed the benefits they bring (along with the negatives), and having got that out of my system I'm in no rush to alter my GS. I love that people do it and enjoy the process and outcome, but feel no loss in (for the moment) choosing not to.

Regards, Miles.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club

Given it was me that mentioned Benny I'll assume it was directed at me, though I can't see anything contentious in my post that would prompt the capitalised response?

You'll know I've been down the 'modding' route with my previous 4200, so have enjoyed the benefits they bring (along with the negatives), and having got that out of my system I'm in no rush to alter my GS. I love that people do it and enjoy the process and outcome, but feel no loss in (for the moment) choosing not to.

Regards, Miles.

Would be interested it what you thought where the positives and negatives with the mods you carried Miles on your old 4200....

Emtee

Would be interested it what you thought where the positives and negatives with the mods you carried Miles on your old 4200....

For me the single best mod was the first Mike. A cat failure brought about the decision to go with the Larini Sports Cats. The difference it made to the engine was marked. Breathed more easily and the sound was better without being much louder - better on gear changes up and down. I think this mod had the greatest effect on engine performance - more responsive for the same throttle input and noticeably more 'eager' when pressing on. Frighteningly expensive though, and something I wouldn't have entertained if I wasn't forced into considering it as the "cheap" option.

The braided brake hoses conversely were a relatively simple and in-expensive mod that could be felt, particularly on the track in conjunction with race spec' brake fluid / pads.

Dropping the car on the stock springs was a mixed blessing that in hindsight I wish I'd not done. Looked better and in combination with the spacers did seem to improve the steering characteristics, but on a track or fast road, the car still wallowed and I felt less confident in the feedback I was getting. Wish in hindsight I'd gone with the FD springs.

The FD DBW module had a massive effect, but not always in a good way I felt. Quick but harsh that for an often used car was irksome at times. Great when on a track, but not so much in everyday life. Above 3,000 rpm the GS stock ECU is a match and more adaptable.

The Larini H-pipe and back boxes sounded glorious when on a track or in a gang of fellow Maseratisti, but again I grew to regret their addition when just wanting to get from A to B in a car that is after all a classy GT. I had cabin drone around 3K rpm and they were also expensive.

The combination of all the above made the car very different in it's handling and sound, and looking back on it (and in comparison to my GS) not better, but just different and overall more demanding.

Next time around I'd go for stiffer springs (not necessarily FD) and perhaps the AP Racing brakes along with custom fitted cats, modified but stock back boxes, de-muffled standard H-pipe centre section and after that a custom remap.

Horses for courses and just my impressions looking back on it all...

Last edited:

Maser Sod

Hi,

Just to add my 2 cents to this.

If you go for the 'bog standard' BHP hike, a la DMS, then you will get the pub bragging rights.

If you go for a custom solution, then you may see more noticeable differences in every day driving.

I had a custom ECM made for me by FD, I specifically asked for more torque around the 3K rev mark, and Jeff hit the mark.

The difference, when combined with a de-restricted centre section and sports cats, was quite noticeable at pick-up.

I didn't ask for extra top-end BHP as I don't spend too much time at the redline. (Only because Plod stopped me the last time I did.)

Mr.Cambio

Regards, Miles.

Miles!!I was just joking my friend!

Parisien

Handling and braking where the two areas of biggest need for improvement.......it has plenty of power, just needs to put it down on the road!

P

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
For me the single best mod was the first Mike. A cat failure brought about the decision to go with the Larini Sports Cats. The difference it made to the engine was marked. Breathed more easily and the sound was better without being much louder - better on gear changes up and down. I think this mod had the greatest effect on engine performance - more responsive for the same throttle input and noticeably more 'eager' when pressing on. Frighteningly expensive though, and something I wouldn't have entertained if I wasn't forced into considering it as the "cheap" option.

The braided brake hoses conversely were a relatively simple and in-expensive mod that could be felt, particularly on the track in conjunction with race spec' brake fluid / pads.

Dropping the car on the stock springs was a mixed blessing that in hindsight I wish I'd not done. Looked better and in combination with the spacers did seem to improve the steering characteristics, but on a track or fast road, the car still wallowed and I felt less confident in the feedback I was getting. Wish in hindsight I'd gone with the FD springs.

The FD DBW module had a massive effect, but not always in a good way I felt. Quick but harsh that for an often used car was irksome at times. Great when on a track, but not so much in everyday life. Above 3,000 rpm the GS stock ECU is a match and more adaptable.

The Larini H-pipe and back boxes sounded glorious when on a track or in a gang of fellow Maseratisti, but again I grew to regret their addition when just wanting to get from A to B in a car that is after all a classy GT. I had cabin drone around 3K rpm and they were also expensive.

The combination of all the above made the car very different in it's handling and sound, and looking back on it (and in comparison to my GS) not better, but just different and overall more demanding.

Next time around I'd go for stiffer springs (not necessarily FD) and perhaps the AP Racing brakes along with custom fitted cats, modified but stock back boxes, de-muffled standard H-pipe centre section and after that a custom remap.

Horses for courses and just my impressions looking back on it all...

Thanks for the reply.
My 4200 is stock apart from the rear Larini's.
The one thing I would really like to change are the springs, but I just can't bring myself to spend over a grand on FD coil springs, then fitting on top!
The FD DBW module is again soooo expensive, and again I find that when driven fast, changing gear over 5K, it's quick!
Cheers.

Fat Arnie

Guys,

Parisien is right, handling a braking are the two areas most in need of improvement on any of these cars. They are GTs and are not designed to corner like a Caterham. Chipping your engine will give minimal gains on a normally aspirated engine, unless you do mechanical things to improve breathing such as cam profiles, bigger valves, porting and matching etc. On turbo cars is a different story as you create manifold pressure.

Brakes - seems decent pads make a huge difference. Although the car is heavy, it only has about 250bhp per tonne, which is not huge. The 330mm discs and 4 pots all round are perfectly adequate unles you are going circuit racing. If you have the money buy Pagids. If not, the Green Grippers seem good. Ferodo DS3000's are also a very good compound.

Springs - A grand a set??? What are the dimensions? They are just coil overs, so you can go to a brand name such as Eibach and pay lots of the name, or you can go to Faulkner (http://www.dfaulknersprings.com) any buy them for probably less than £50/spring.

The important thing is to know your existing spring lb/in value. Best if you take them off and get them on a spring dynometer to measure. Don't go too ******* the rear (+10%) is probably the max, as you will have serious traction problems in the wet. Oh and never cut down springs. As well as shortening them, it makes them disproportionately (due to the way they are wound and supported) harder.

Has anyone looked at the anti roll bars and how to maybe design a stiffer bar and get the body under better control? (or you may be able to move the position of the drop links)

For