Project V8 - Achtung! German content

MAF260

It's been over a year since I had a project car, so I've been looking for a while. I'm quite a fan of certain German cars from when I was growing up in the 80s and have owned and rebuilt a couple:

image.jpgimage.jpg

I've always fancied a Porsche 944, but have stopped short of buying one as I just don't like the 4-cylinder engines in them. The prices of all things Porsche is starting to run away, so I began looking again for a 944 that I could put some work into to improve in the same way as my previous cars before they became out of reach. Fate smiled on me a few weeks ago when I came across a project for sale that seemed to fit all of my criteria.

Today both cars were delivered. I feel like the automotive version of Noah right now with 2 Masers and 2 Porsches!
image.jpg

Who would want an old 924, especially a yellow one? Normally I wouldn't give it a second glance, but it has a special ingredient that I couldn't ignore:

image.jpg

It's heart is a 4.1 litre V8 built by Rovertech/V8 Developments. It's a proper, period conversion offered back in the day by a now-defunct company called UVA. This is a genuine UVA 984. I have loads of history with the car. It emigrated to Australia with its owner almost 20 years ago and was repatriated with the same owner some time later. Somebody cherished this car, I'll share more of its history on this thread if anyone is interested.
The shell is a bit tired and was stripped out a long time ago, the car used in a CCC challenge. My plan is to remove all of the running gear from this car and transplant it into the 944, turning that into a track car for myself and my son. The engine has over 260bhp and a ton of torque so will be plenty powerful enough when a standard 944 weighs in at 1100kg. The car will go on a diet, so the resultant power to weight ratio will be somewhere close to my GS. With excellent weight distribution (transaxle gearbox) it should make for a fun car on track.

alfatwo

Nice one MAF..If your interested I have some lovely old Rover V8 experimental engine tuning stuff from TVR Pow*r
engine sfuff 2 114.jpg..

Dave

Attachments

• engine sfuff 2 104.jpg
    engine sfuff 2 104.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 16

highlander

Had a 924 donkeys ago, still have a soft spot for them and like you, I find myself regularly looking on sites at what is around. Prices do seem to be on the up with these forgotten porkers. Look forward to updates on this project.

GeoffCapes

I've always wanted a 944 but never got round to buying one.

I'm glad you've got a V8 in the 924, our old next door neighbour had one which looked mint, however, he had It delivered back home on the back of a breakdown lorry so many times i lost count.
Always because of engine problems.

Will watch this with interest.

zagatoes30

As much as I like the 944 it is a 928 that always tugs my heart but so far my head has always warned me off

2b1ask1

Special case
Quite a challenge there Mark, respect if you can pull that off, I suspect the running gear mounting is going to be a real issue for you, Porshe tend to add strength only where it is needed by multiplying plates in layers rather than thicker material. That is an issue when rust gets between the layers and is often the death of them.

Have you got somewhere that can do your welding for you including a roll cage? I'd look at this in combination so you dictate the strengthening in tandem with the cage.

Will watch with interest.

drewf

I know you have legendary OCD, but WTF is the spirit level going to be used for in stripping a car?? :D

GeoffCapes

As much as I like the 944 it is a 928 that always tugs my heart but so far my head has always warned me off

When I was 17 I went in a 928 S4. Still one of the fastest cars I've ever been in. It absolutely flew!
The digital readout for the speedo was comical. However, it did hit 169mph whilst I was in the passenger seat! To say I was a little concerned would be an understatement.
Especially as it got a bit 'floaty'.

Spartacus

wait till you max your 42 at 180 then . You ll s%%t yourself about 130 mph though . It feels like a jelly fish on roller skates

GeoffCapes

wait till you max your 42 at 180 then . You ll s%%t yourself about 130 mph though . It feels like a jelly fish on roller skates

She's already been to 150. On a private road of course. Wasn't too bad. Ish.
However, the Merc has been to 165 (on the same private road) and felt very planted. I was expecting the limiter to kick in at 155 but it didn't.

outrun

I'm glad to hear that you're still mental enough to pick up a v8 powered VW/AUDI/PORSCHE

:)

My first Porsche was a 924. It was rubbish. Followed by 2 x 944s, which are better then 3 x 928s which are epic. Then came the 911s......

Had a 968 for a couple of months too. Also good.

2b1ask1

Special case

Na, 4200 is floaty 95-110mph but then just gets steadier and steadier till it hits the limiter at 187mph or 300kph to be precise :D A certain Nantwich Foghorn has his limiter lifted but with no metal on top I'm not sure he has ever found out what the true max is now???

MAF260

I got stuck in today and made decent progress. Everything has now been disconnected, photographed and labelled. The entire engine and drivetrain will be removed tomorrow, then I need to get rid of the shell.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

During dismantling I came across a few horrors - dodgy welding, repairs and bodges along with a rat's nest of confusing wiring. Plenty of opportunities to improve things when they're refitted to the 944.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg