Range Rover advice

zagatoes30

I also use a 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography as daily wheels and I have to say I am a big fan. These cars are about torque not BHP and whilst I have had to adjust driving style (piling into roundabouts at high speed is not a great plan), it covers ground wonderfully well in great comfort and silence. I bought mine one year ago and have put 31000 miles on it at 27 mpg. A friend had the 5.0 s/c and drove very sedately for 17 mpg and I read that Chris Harris achieved 13 mpg from his but that is probably an indication of his driving style. I bought mine with new tyres and they still have 4/5 mm so it really has been cheap luxury motoring and a pleasant foil to the 'occasion' of driving the QP GTS. Outstanding 1200w hifi, great seat comfort (heated and cooled back and front), relaxing radar cruise, rubbish sat nav (use waze) and half the price of a new shape L405, which is a bit lighter but with a smaller boot. For LR products, I would always choose last of the line rather than be a guinea pig. Guess that's true of Maserati too!

All of above makes sense, the 4.4 was my plan but just intrigued by the SC version, loads of 4.4s available so no harm in going to see the the sportscar version ;)

Andyk

If you want 4x4 then then think you are making the perfect decision for you needs Andy...and what a machine with that engine......Looks great, lovely colour as well the one in your link.

zagatoes30

Test drive booked for this morning not sure what to expect, head says the 4.4 diesel is the one to buy but the petrolhead bit of me says 500 bhp Supercharger every day :road_rage-28:

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Test drive booked for this morning not sure what to expect, head says the 4.4 diesel is the one to buy but the petrolhead bit of me says 500 bhp Supercharger every day :road_rage-28:

Take some cash with you. It looks fantastic. I had the same engine in my XFR and it was spot on.

Just a thought, though: will towing knock the mpg down to unbearable levels?

JonW

All I say is what a beast - AWESOME

This is my view as well - I test drove a Supercharged for a weekend before I eventually bought our Range Rover Sport (garage too small), and thought it was an absolutely amazing machine.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
They sound amazing, Dem, agreed. Swap the exhaust for an Akrapovich and they sound absolutely immense.

Wack61

Just a thought, though: will towing knock the mpg down to unbearable levels?

A 5 litre 500bhp engine in a 2.5 tonne car with the aerodynamics of a block of flats running electrical systems and air conditioning that would have done a cinema 50 years ago and you think adding a trailer is going to make it unbearable :laugh:

There's no getting away from the fact you'll be on first name terms with the guy at the petrol station but what a car ,if the cost of fuel and £500 road tax is even slightly worrying you you should walk away.

I used to put £50 in when I had my impreza , it was only a small tank to make you feel good but I was in there every 6-7 days 22mpg gets a bit wearing on a daily driver but I loved every minute I was in it

zagatoes30

Man maths calculation comparing the price of the Supercharged one (£21k) and an equivalent 4.4 Vogue SE (£26k) has a price difference of about £5k like for like. Based on current fuel prices that is just over 900 gallons which at SC RR average of 17 is just over £15k miles. I do about £10k per year so if I kept it for two years I would still spend less than getting the 4.4 which would do 30mpg.

On top of that the SC one is an Autobiography and it has more toys than Hamleys. So just doing the due diligence, checking history, costing a warranty policy etc. weekend decision

Wack61

To get 19mpg out of something that big is no mean feat, 10 years ago I had an audi A8 4.2 Quattro , in the winter on local trips I worked out it was doing 8mpg , I loved that car but it would have been cheaper to go by limo